Tascam 32

cvalona

Gear owned
MSR16 and TEAC A-6010
Hello to everyone and hope everyone is well.

I recently installed a new drive belt on my 32, cleaned and lubed everything that the technical manual said to clean & lube. I had the my 32 running and recording perfectly.

A few days later I bought a near mint Tascam MSR16 and that changed everything.

I decided to sell my 32 and contacted a buyer in Redding, CA who sells and repairs older/vintage kinds of audio
gear and he literally told me that he would be willing to pay top dollar for my machine if it indeed performed as I
said it would. So I loaded up my 32 and delivered it to the buyer.

Since I live 4 hours from Redding, CA, I arrived in Redding, CA around 2pm...and left my 32 with the business that was interested in purchasing my 32. The potential buyer was out at the time of delivery so I decided to leave my 32 with one of his assistants and told him that I would be back either by the end of the business day or first thing in the morning, I figured this would give him a chance to check my 32 out so that he could see that it worked perfectly and sounded great.

One of my doctor appointments took longer than I expected and I wasn't able to return to the store/business till
the next morning. I met the would be buyer who all of a sudden wasn't interested in the least in buying my 32.
I was in complete dismay and very disappointed by his sudden change of heart, but even more perplexed, I was very taken back about how he treated me. It was like he could totally care less that drove my 32 and delivered it personally to his shop and his completely vague demeanor was even more strange and weird.

BTW let me also clarify that I had been a customer of his store on several occasions and we always seem to work well together and I never saw this rude very vague side of his personality ever.

So I packed my 32 back up and drove home. Once home I placed my 32 back in my studio, but never took it back out of the box, since I really didn't have any reason to and I started thinking that I was going to start calling a couple of other places that might be interested in buying it or selling it for me on consignment.

Sure enough a friend who owns a great musical instrument shop and sells a lot of recording gear said bring it in and we'll take it on consignment. So I loaded it back in my van and drove another 7 hours to deliver my 32.

Since I've had a good working relationship with this person for the past 30 years he just had me un-box the 32 and place it on a shelf in his store and that was the end of it.

1 week later he calls me and says he has a buyer who just need to see a short video of my 32 running and operating correctly and he would buy it for $1,000.00. So indeed one of the very experienced sales guys who has owned and maintained several Tascam and Otari reel to reel rigs got my 32 all set up for the short video clip shoot.

However, while my 32 would rewind and fast forward just fine, when he pushed the play button, my 32 went nowhere...then he pressed the play & record button together and my 32 went nowhere as well. No matter what my friend the sales guy did, my 32 would not play or record period !

So I just drove another 7 hours back to the store to try to see if there was any thing I could do, thinking maybe my friend and store sales guy was doing something incorrectly, but to no avail, my 32 was just as he told me on the phone, "it won't go into play mode or record mode.

I lost the potential buyer and had no choice to pack it up and bring it back home with me, which I'm doing as I write this.

My conclusion: I'm now certain and especially after the way I was treated by the would be buyer in Redding, CA that some time while my 32 was left at his business he deliberately stole some vital part of my 32 which now makes play back and recording impossible. Of course I have no proof, but I realize now that I was had.

I suppose I could just sell it as is for parts basically, but something in my psyche just says no, I want to repair it and make it useable again to someone since did have it playing and performing great !

So I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the would be buyer in Redding, CA stole off of my 32 to render it useless now ? I have pulled the body cover off and the back of the machine to see if I could spot anything immediately and I noticed that the drive belt is on the flywheel and smaller roller.

Please forgive me for posting this long of thread...maybe my very hard learned lesson here will be of some use to someone one day.

Much Peace, Charles

Wow Charles, that’s terrible! Sorry that happened to you and I hope you have the ideal outcome (repair, parting etc). There is a user here who is a certified TASCAM/TEAC repair person, if you want to try to restore the deck to working by a more reputable outfit.

WOW. What an extraordinary story. And if the original place did indeed modify/pillage your machine for their own benefit - well that's just an absurd outrage. It does sound like it was 'messed with'.
If it was prove-able, I'd have the guy swinging from the lamppost in front of the shop. But proving it might be tough.

Not that it'll make you feel any better - but it's incidents like this that make me unlikely to trust someone who hasn't earned it/proven worthy of it. And yes - I'm a paranoid, anxiety-ridden, mean old man - but there's no way I'd give someone the opportunity to pull something like that on me. I live in gun-nut-central, and have neighbors who'd shoot someone in the forehead for doing that.

I'm sorry I'm not able to contribute to an actual solution, or address the technical aspects. I'm hopeful that you can put it right, and your fine machine can end up in good hands.
Good luck!!!;)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.