Tascam 388 routing

robert h

Gear owned
Tascam 388
So I am eagerly waiting for my minty Tascam 388 to arrive and coming from a strictly itb background am trying to wrap my head around analog routing.

Specifically I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to add effects to sub mixes on the console. I visualize internally bouncing my drums stereo to two free tracks and then erasing the individual drums to free up more available tracks. Would I then send the stereo drums to an effects unit (compressor verb, ect) and then out of the effects unit into two free tracks? Does this make sense or is there a easier way to print effects using any of the send receive inputs on the same ch or the pgm in/outs? Would I not just create a feedback loop?

Still wrapping my head around all the routing and have yet to find a definitive answer to this so excuse my ignorance.

Thanks!

The routing is not hard and all you need do is study the block diagrams. It is like any small mixer with a tape deck attached.

Hi Robert, your suggestion does make sense, and will work - even if there is an internal way to do the same. Just give it a try!

And whether the routing is hard or not is something for you to decide and no one else. The statement itself is not very helpful, to say the least..

Thanks Arjan,

I think I'll have to sit down with the manual and the machine in front of me...just trying to get up to speed before it arrives. One confusing thing is that the manual shows going into an effect box(comp, reverb) before the pre if you wish to track with it and apply it to individual tracks....not sure how that's possible if its before the pre.

New threads

Members online