Tascam 488 mk1 erase issues

willhindson

Gear owned
488 mk1
Hi everyone, it’s my first post on the forum as a new tascam user which I will admit is a little in desperation as I didn’t know where else to turn but hope I can contribute later.

I recently picked up a used 488 and while most of the functionality is perfect, it will only fully erase on tracks 1&6. If I try overdubbing on other tracks it will either just slightly lower the volume of the original (with blank noise) or just end up a jumbled mess (with another instrument)

I have cleaned the heads thoroughly and demagnetised. I then opened up the machine and spent some time studying the boards until I found all the erase head connections, disconnected and cleaned with electronics cleaner and reseated. I also cleaned a lot of the other connections. In general though, the insides seem to be very clean and in good shape. Unfortunately this didn’t seem to solve the issue.

I noticed that tracks 1&6 are next to each other on one end of the circuit board - surely this has something to do with it and leads me to believe it’s not an erase head issue..?

I’d really appreciate if anyone has any advice on this, thanks!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.