Tascam DA-98 to computer

Miffe

I was dropping by my local music store today and gladly found out they had a Tascam DA-98.

I have a Hi8-tape recorded around 20 years ago with a DA-88. I want that tape converted into a computer for remixing. Preferable the digital way with the 8 tracks separate directly into a DAW.

I work in a studio that has a Tascam DM-3200 that works as soundcard to a Mac Mini via FireWire. I like to use Reaper as DAW.

Can I connect the DA-98 to the DM-3200 via TDIF cable and then record the tape to the Mac Mini? If so, what cable do I need and how do I set it up?

Or is there some kind of other converter (TDIF to FireWire) to connect the DA-98 to the Mac Mini?

Is there another smooth solution?

/Miffe

TDIF should work perfectly with the DM-3200. You'll need a TDIF-TDIF cable (I'm not familiar with using TDIF myself) and a word sync cable to get the mixer and DA98 on the same clock. With the correct routing in the DM you should easily be able to record the 8 channels in one run to your DAW.

Thank you Arjan P for your answer! I am thinking about another solution.
The music store also have a MOTU 2408. I don´t know what version so here are two pictures:

motu1.JPG

motu2.JPG

I have a Roland Edirol UA-25EX as soundcard to my PC connected via USB at home. It has digital in. The music store´s Tascam DA-98 is already connected to the MOTU2408. Can I connect the MOTU2408 to my Edirol UA-25EX via optical cable and capture the 8 channels in one run to my DAW?

Attachments

• motu1.JPG
    motu1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 3
Well it all depends on the formats those units can carry. I don't know their specs, but if the optical cable you mention carries ADAT format, then 8 channels at 44.1 or 48 kHz should be possible in one run.

Ok, thanks again. I will try and then post the result here. But first I must find that Hi8-tape in the stockpile... :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.