Tascam dp 24 sd guitar effect hiss

Eric Guicherit

Gear owned
Tascam DP24SD
Edit: I have now abandoned the DP24SD’s build-in guitar effects completely and use an external multi effects pedal instead (Zoom G1XON). The device’s guitar effects are way too noisy (this hiss, even at low volumes was driving me nuts), at least on my device. And they aren’t really that good. Now I’m back to focusing on the music and not the sound quality.

Has anyone noticed a strong hissing, especially noticeable through headphones when using the chorus and reverb of the guitar effects?
Also, the guitar has this annoying popping sound when playing the low E string.

Last edited:
I would be happy to help you troubleshoot. I can't get to it right away - but I'd be happy to do some testing on my machine either later tonight or tomorrow sometime to see if I can detect any unusual noise with the guitar effect (I don't use the "guitar" effect - I have turned it on and played with it a little... but that was a long time ago).

You mention the hiss/noise coming from the "guitar" effect's "reverb" and "chorus". To be clear - the "guitar" effect block has a chorus effect - but not reverb. The "send" effects has both a chorus effect AND reverb effect (but only one at a time can be used).

Perhaps you can test again and tell us more specifically exactly under what effect set-up your getting the noise. Remember - and this can be a little confusing - when you hit the "effect" button and are now looking at the effect screen... in the lower left it will say either "Send" or "Guitar". When it displays "Send" - you are in the guitar effects. Toggle that so it displays "Guitar" - and you are now in the send effects. Less than intuitive - but that's how they decided to do this. You may very well be aware of all this - but just wanted to mention that.

Also - be sure that you are testing from a "known state" - as explained and demonstrated in Phil Tipping's video #2 on youtube. This is key to help with troubleshooting.

I will test a little and get back to you.

Do the following:
  • Arm track 1 (or any other track) and position the track’s slider on 0 position
  • Position the STEREO slider also on 0
  • Turn the monitor level knob to the 12 o’clock position.
  • From the guitar effect choose e.g. Preset 07 (for the chosen track)
  • Put a headphone in the headphone output and listen. On my device a clear hiss is noticeable
  • Still in the guitar effect: in the AMP section I can reduce or increase this hiss by increasing or lowering the REVERB on the bottom right. The same for the GAIN. The same for the CHORUS in the EFFECT section.
  • Check the blue stereo signal bars on the multitrack screen. On my device these clearly indicate a signal.

When I follow the same procedure for other PRESETS it seems that the CHORUS produces most hiss. Settings with no CHORUS on are fairly quiet.

I followed your instructions exactly. And I do here an increase in low level noise when the guitar effect is "on". The noise does seem to increase as I raise the reverb effect level. This noise - whether louder or softer depending on the level setting - disappears when I either turn the effect to "off" - or "de-select" the track. However - the noise is *not* deal-breaker loud. It reminds me of the typical increase in noise when you introduce certain guitar floor pedals running into a guitar amp. The increase in noise that I do hear does not raise the meters at all.

If the noise you're hearing is "deal-breaker" loud... do you have light dimmers in your house? Or other electrical components that might cause line noise? I have read *repeatedly* over the last 20 years of all kinds of unusual electrical interference that are "local circuit related". Not necessarily always in the same room or vicinity. I only mention this because I have been amazed at the types of unexpected causes of "circuit noise".

Feel free to shoot back any other questions. It is unclear to me whether you're experiencing a problem with your machine - or whether there is something else causing this.

It might be helpful if someone else could try your test instructions and report their findings.

Last edited:
I also wanted to mention that I had no idea that the "amp" section of the guitar block does offer it's own "reverb" setting. That's good to know! My apologies for suggesting above that it's not there. Love learning these machines. ; - )

Also - I do not get the noise with the chorus effect in the guitar block.o_O Not sure what to make of that.

Eric, mine too has some hiss - and it shows a smidge on the meters if turned up full. On my preset 07, the reverb hiss gets louder up to position 4, then it goes quieter from 5 onwards, then louder again at position 8. If you turn off all the other effects in the block, the hiss follows the reverb level... BUT I've not checked it in context with a real signal. You have to be careful about analysing things in isolation - it's like cranking up the volume to max on an expensive amp with no input and then being critical because you can hear a hiss. Your headphone impedance may also make them more sensitive so your 12 o'clock setting may sound louder (and hence emphasise the hiss more in the absence of a signal) than mine or jimi's. I'd run a guitar/instrument through the machine with the controls set to realistic levels and then see if the hiss is an issue. I may be wrong, but having heard (and cringed from!) the noise from real guitar amps on stage, my gut feel is this is not a problem :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, your answers reassured me that this is inherent to the DP24SD. I come from many years of using the R8 and must stop comparing the Tascam with it. These are different concepts. Different noise levels. I do agree with you Phil that one should turn down the volumes to normal work levels which is what I do and when I became aware of the hiss. I’m probably overly sensitive to high pitch noise where others don’t bother about it. Or maybe it’s my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT990) that highlights higher frequencies. I have now decided to not use the build in guitar effects (like apparently many here on the forum), but instead use an external module (from the R8). The convenience of using the Tascam as well as its warm sound are good enough reasons for me to keep it for now.
Btw, this is a great forum. Fun to be here. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks Mark. So looking at the graph it does seem that the 990 highlights the higher frequencies. I will check a different headphone to see if things sound better.

I use the Sony MDR-7506 and as mentioned the hiss was there and noticeable with the effect on - but it' just not "problematic" loud.

Thanks Jimi. I will certainly take a look at the MDR-7506. More people mention it as being outstanding.

Might it be a grounding issue?
There's a ground on the back of the unit.
You might try running a wire from that to a solid ground.

The 7506 is a very good tool. Its closed back design, excellent isolation characteristics, and flat FR make it a prime choice for tracking and overdubs in the studio and for electronic news gathering, live remote recording, etc. "in the field".

While 7506 flat FR means it can do the job in mixdown, the better choice for mixing and mastering is good near-field monitors, supplemented by good open-back professional reference headphones designed specifically as a tool for the studio. The open-back reference design provides a flat FR, better imaging and placement in the sound stage, better detail, and less user fatigue.

I've owned/used the 7506, and the original SONY MDR-V6, and liked both of them a lot. The great advantage of the 7506 is the price/performance ratio. Open-back headphones meant for professional use can be pricey.

Here's the FR chart for the DT990, the SONY 7506, and two reference headphones: Beyerdynamics DT880 and AKG K701:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCo...D[]=963&graphID[]=703&graphID[]=2361&scale=30

Again, off topic, but headphones are a big part of home recording, and if I've shared facts already known, my apologies.

Last edited:
That’s what I like about the DT 990; the fact that it is open back and has this amazing breath of sound. But it’s unforgiving when there is background noise. I used these headphones on the Zoom R8 and never had any issues with perceiving noise. The best is of course to use good quality speaker monitors but there I made the mistake to buy a pair of Yamaha HS5. Bad decision. They sound very harsh, even in combination with a woofer. So mixdown and mastering will be with headphones for now. I will check on the 7506 vs ATH M-50X and decide if one of these will be my additional headphone.

"I made the mistake to buy a pair of Yamaha HS5. Bad decision. They sound very harsh"

Hmmm... I inherited a pair of HS5's from my grandfather and think they sound great. That whole Yamaha HS line of monitors are highly rated and quite popular - particularly in the "bang for the buck" category.

Are you sure you've got them setup properly?

Maybe you can give me some tips on how to set them up. I tried everything, the Room Control and high trim settings, the correct distance from the wall. I must be doing something wrong because these speakers get good reviews.

Ah. Good to know. This review had a similar critique - albeit a little less harsh.

https://sonarworks.com/blog/yamaha-hs5-studio-monitor-review/

I had tried a couple other pairs (this was about 7 years ago)... and easily settled on the Yamaha's as the best of the three (for my room with my setup).

Those white ones are a trip.

I assume the newer ones can't be that sonically different from the early generation(s). But mine are a little different than the new ones it seems. Mine have "Mid EQ" and "Low Cut" switching on the back in addition to the "room control" and "high trim" switches. Weird.

Maybe mine sound good to me because they were free.:D:D

Honestly - I am not a good source to be giving advice on room and monitoring setup. I am a big time novice. I also am just now getting ready to completely redo my recording area as I have just relocated to a new house where I have a nice, much larger dedicated home studio area. *I'll be the one asking for advice now!*:D;)

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.