Tascam dp008 punch in punch out

Gilbert

Gear owned
tascam dp24sd/br 600
tascam dp008 can someone tell me why the sound drops when i punch in punch out with the pedal i have the same problem with a br 600 also i tried 2 other pedals and same thing

mate, there are many helpful people on here, but they will need some more info to better help you.

When you say the pedal, do you mean a pedal to punch in with, or an effects pedal in your chain?

are you recording a guitar, a mic or a keyboard or drums?

oh, and WELCOME :)

Reactions: -mjk-
ha sorry I record acoustic/electric guitar directly in the 008 or in the microphone input and I use a pedal for the punch in punch out connected to the foot switch input and my guitar sound is less loud in the punch in punch out section and I have the same problem with my br 600 but with the dp24 no problem and on the dp008 and the br I tried 3 different pedals for the same result

Hi @Gilbert the sound level being recorded does not change because of using a pedal to punch in. When changes in levels occur during punches it has to do with the performance. There is an art to punching in, and one of the techniques is for the performer to begin playing along with the track well before the place where the punch in happens, so they are playing vigorously and matching the level, but also so the room is full of the sound also. Further reading on the subject:
https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/smooth-clean-punch-ins.8297/#post-40415

Reactions: Mark Richards
Maybe you already thought about it but, just in case …. : on the DP-008 (and other Portastudios), the *input* level of a source is not controlled by the corresponding channel volume button (which is for playback).
it is the “Input A” / “Input B” volume buttons that dictates at which volume your recorded punched-in / out will be.
So, you have to compare the input level meters (A and B at the leftmost positions on the 008 screen), with the already recorded material on the track you’ll do the punch-in/out, and also the output levels L and R shown on the rightmost positions.
Adjust Input A / B « trim » input volumes accordingly. If you do not, evident level difference will be heard on that particular track with punched-in insertions.

Reactions: dctdct
ok but if i'm recording and i'm wrong and i resume after my recording my levels should be ok and not need re-adjust but i'll check this alternative too thanks

as mjk said, there is a skill involved. Make sure you are matching the already recorded intensity. Give yourself time to get into it before the punch in. It looks easy to do, but it's quite challenging.

Have you tried punching without a pedal just by setting the in and out points? Could cut out the middle man.

not on the dp, I only use this technique in cakewalk but I settled by starting to play well before the punches

Reactions: dctdct
In any case it is a good procedure to start long before the IN point playing along. I do the same also for parallel tracks (overdubbing), not only for a punch in.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.