Tascam DP32SD to Tascam Model "X" Collaborative Compatibility

Gregory Catzelis

Gear owned
Tascam DP 008-EX
A very good buddy of mine just picked up the Digital DP32 Tascam.

He lives down South and I am up North.

We want to collaborate together via Dropbox and sharing wav files.

I want to collaborate with him and add bass and keyboards to his songs.

I have a DP 008 EX (porta studio 8 track). Was thinking of upgrading to better cope with his 32 track Tascam.

Concerned about making the correct choice to be able to cope with my buddies 32 Track and sharing stuff.

I really want a Tascam Model 12 --don't have a need for 32 tracks. Prefer a more physically solid system to the touch than the DP's --though they also rock!

My question and concern is this: If I upgrade and buy a Model 12; will it play nice with a DP32 as far as sharing wav files and collaborating with each other ? Or do I need to get an exact same system he is on : purchase a DP32 myself. How do different models interact with each other in Tascam-Land when it comes to collaboration?

Any limitations and constraints that folks have experience with on this Tascam Platform ?

Just joined this group and this is my first post.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank You very much in Advance and Happy New Year to All.

Hi @Gregory Catzelis and welcome to the Tascam Forums.

Audio is audio. If you both are using the same file format (.wav) and agree on the resolution (maximum of 24 bit/48 kHz on those 2 machines) you can share files all you want.

That being said, any way you work with audio is fine. If you use a DAW to add tracks just keep the project file settings the same and you won't have any issues.

The issues with collaboration are going to be with lining the tracks up. That will require that each track be exported for it's entire length. As long as you follow the user manual and export full tracks, you'll be alright.

Reactions: Gregory Catzelis
Thank You Very Much for Your Prompt reply MJK :)

I'm jonesing to get the Model 12 ASAP & probably will swim at my own risk !

At the going costs of these units ... if something was tough to do with my buddy --collaboratively speaking-- dropping $500 on the Digital Platform Line is very manageable man.

Cross Platform issues & compatibility across Tascam Model xx and DP xx are i guess a better way to frame my question. Thanks for your insights & response!

Those machines don' t share anything other than audio Gregory. There is no automation for example, so no compatibility issues other than the audio. I've used files in my studio that were created by DP machines, Model 24 and also DAWs. No difference. The recording techniques are far more important than the machine upon which they are recorded.

Get a pair of the best recording monitors you can afford. Get at least 1 large capsule condenser microphone. Spend some money on the room treatment. That way you'll know what you are hearing is right, and you'll have a great mic to capture performances with.

With the above in mind, the machine you have right now can do the job. Personally, I wouldn't put the money in a new recorder, but as I said, in the room and a good mic. Adding bass and keyboard tracks to his songs does not require you to have access to all his tracks. He can make you a stereo mix of his song for you to play along with. With the DP-008EX there would be an additional 6 tracks available for you to add instruments.

Another user on this site, Sean Murphy got himself a record deal using one of those machines. It's not the machine - it's the user.

Thank You Sir :)

Taking your feedback to heart and spending more time on mastering the 8 track I have.
I am not ready for the Model 12 quite honestly ... have much to learn with the 8 track still.
Was extremely inspired by the Model 12 --saw a demo Pete Thorn did that was awesome.

I thought if my buddy was sharing tracks from a 32 track system to me on an 8 track world ... I'd have a problem adding to his tracks or interpreting them .. collaborating. I am making false assumptions not yet proven from collaborating. I have much to learn and am new to Tascam. Will master the 8 track platform and focus on the salient points you shared.

Taking it slow and going in deep. Thank you very very much for sharing :)

Reactions: -mjk-
Gregory, recording is an art form and we continually evolve while practicing that art. I'm an old man with a very long history of professional recording in the greater Boston area (80s and 90s). I'm very happy if I can help someone learn the rope and save them lots of heartache and money in the process.

If you were going to mix for your friend, then yes, that would be a different story - you would need a system that could handle all those tracks. But (according to your original post) you want to add instruments. I have done this many times over (lots of us on the Tascam Forums do this). In every case, I have never either been given all tracks in a project, nor have I ever sent all tracks in my project to someone else - the only exception being in cases where I was going to mix a record. The normal procedure is for the creator (the person who is asking you to add tracks) will make a mix for you that is appropriate for monitoring so you can play along with it. Sometimes, this may take a bit of tweaking so don't be shy about asking for a specific kind of mix (say, louder drums so you can lock in with the drummer, or louder vocals - whatever you need).

You mention Pete Thorn, and yeah, he's a monster and could make a record on a Flight Data Recorder sound good, lol. But you have a great attitude Gregory and you'll do well. If you have any issues just post them on the Forum and there will be plenty of help available.

Thank You very much for your feedback :)

Will attempt collaborating with my DP32 buddy from my DP8 Track and see how things go.

Was operating off assumptions that have not yet occurred... like how does an 8 track talk to a 32 track in terms off adding tracks to that canvass. I thought i needed to be a 32 track too to do that. Will see what happens when he sends me his 32 track .wav file and wants me to add to it from my 8 track.. Will i see and hear all tracks if they are beyond 8 that my Tascam natively does. I will know how to better articulate my concerns more down the road as we play together.

very new to the world of production --thank you for your patience and advice .

Reactions: -mjk-
The normal procedure is for the creator (the person who is asking you to add tracks) will make a mix for you that is appropriate for monitoring so you can play along with it. Sometimes, this may take a bit of tweaking so don't be shy about asking for a specific kind of mix (say, louder drums so you can lock in with the drummer, or louder vocals - whatever you need).
Another tip in this regard: It helps if the original project was started with a click. So if your buddy works that way, also ask him for a mix with, or the separate click track for you to work with.

Will see what happens when he sends me his 32 track .wav file and wants me to add to it from my 8 track

He's not going to send you a "32 track wav file" - he's going to send you a stereo mix of what he's done thus far. You import that on 2 tracks and you have 6 to add stuff to. You play along and record new tracks, then export them and upload.

@Arjan P is right: get a click track, either mixed in or as a separate track.

Thanks again Gents for all your feedback :)

Ordered a book called : Modern Recording Techniques by David Miles Huber.
He seems to be a very good source to get a solid bearing on the field of Audio.
That's all I will order --thanks for the save on purchasing unnecessary gear (DP32).

Have much to learn about Professional Audio Production. I just love to play & have
been very fortunate to have been surrounded by very talented Audio folks who did all the
engineering for us whilst growing up ... have much to learn.

I never wore that hat but am very excited about Tascam & working with my DP 0008-EX 8 Track which will serve most, if not all of, of my musical needs for many years to come! Not purchasing anything else until I really get a solid foundation on my 8 Track and collaborate with
many people which will illuminate what's involved through the audio exchange process, etc...

Thanks again folks !

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-

New threads

Members online