Tascam DR40X... Reset?

Nestor Toscano

Gear owned
DR40X
Hello!

I have a Tascam DR40X, it worked very well for 2 or 3 sessions, but after time I turned it on again, the low battery error appeared, I already bought new batteries from various brands and it does not work, I try to use it with computer cable (as a power supply) and it doesn't record me, the counter stays at 00:00:00, I already formatted the memory card many times and nothing. It also does not work as an interface.

I also updated the Firmware because possibly that was it, but neither. When I try to record with the USB, it says "File error".

My question, is there any combination of buttons (like when pressed to install the firmware) to restart the Tascam from the factory? Because when I restart it from the menu, it takes a while and then the legend "Does not continue" appears.

Thank you very much for your help and time.

Regards.

I found the directions for "factory reset" in the reference manual (for my DR40):

Restoring the factory settings

(Press MENU > OTHERS > SYSTEM > INITIALIZE)

Use the INITIALIZE item to restore the various settings of this unit to their factory settings.

1 Use the + or − button to select INITIALIZE, and press the ENTER/MARK or / button to highlight Exec.

2 Press the ENTER/MARK button again to open a confirmation pop-up window.

3 Press the ENTER/MARK button to initialize the unit. Press (HOME) [8] to cancel initialization

Another reset procedure to try, from this site:

https://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com/tascam-dr-40-review/

Resetting the Tascam DR-40

Every file recorded with the DR-40 will be given a number that ascends in value with each recording. This number is put behind a file name of your choice. E.g.: “myawesomerecording0027”.

Resetting enables you to set this number back to 0001. In order to do this:

1. POWER up the DR-40
2. In the home menu, use the + or – button to select the option COUNT INIT (for “initialize”)
3. Press the ENTER/MARK button to execute. This will bring up a pop message asking: ‘Restore Factory Settings. Are you sure?’
4. Press ENTER again to start the reset

Reactions: Nestor Toscano
Sorry, but I forgot about the method that should reset your DR-40X back to as-new factory condition...

Turn off the recorder, and REMOVE the batteries.

WAIT a long period of time (I would give it at least an hour or two) to allow any internal stored battery charge to drain.

Then install a fresh set of batteries, and turn on the recorder.

The unit should behave like the first time you turned it on, fresh from the box. You should be prompted to set the clock.

If it STILL isn't working right, then I'm afraid it's time to contact TASCAM Support.

Is your DR-40X still under warranty?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nestor Toscano
Thanks a lot. Maybe it's time to contact TASCAM Support, because i traied with the "Test Menu" ( "Quick" + "<<" + "HOME") and the tascam doesn't worked. When i try to record the bars of "db" still off. I'm very sad.

Anyway, thanks!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.