Tascam limitations regarding external control

kelvinrobbo

From
UK
Gear owned
DM4800, DA88 x2 ,
I am trying to control an ancient (but superb) external device (Roland VS2480). The track faders on this device responds to 'control number 39'. I cannot edit this within the VS4580. If I am going to control the device I will need to send 39 from the DM4800.....However the '24 midi mixer' and '24 user defined' options in the ' remote' control list do not allow this to be edited and then sent. The DM's cc numbers stops at 31 and restart again at 64.......I can however use the '16 midi faders' option, as this allows control change number 39 to be sent, but this limits the the Tascam to send only with the faders. I cannot use the sole, mute pan etc........Is there any solution? Any work around through the DAW perhaps. Any firmware updates that improved on this?

Maybe you can look into MIDI Translator software like Bome, Keystage or similar. That type of software can change any type of MIDI message into something else (Like SysEx to CC number etc.)

Reactions: dctdct
...PC ......problem solved...I checked out Arjan's Midi translator suggestion. I have used Bome to switch midi numbers around and the desk will now control both the DAW (connections previously established) and the VS2480.

Reactions: Arjan P
A pleasant surprise was that I can control the Roland VS2480 from the DM4800 mixer's 'Channel layers' rather than the dedicated 'Remote layer'...thus i use layer 1 for general ins and outs...layer 2 to control the tracks/returns from the Vs2480 and the Remote layer for the DAW.

That's great! I didn't even know that was possible.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.