Tascam M30 - buzzing and then wouldn't power on

jigglywiggles

Gear owned
Tascam 38, Tascam M30
Hey all!

I was hoping you might be able to help me with an issue I've suddenly had with my Tascam M30. I turned it on today and had a really loud buzz coming out - /maybe/ a ground loop sound? After about 2 minutes of that being on the unit powered down and has not turned back on since.

The sound it was making was : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eBBpT1GN89k

I've used my DMM to run a continuity test between the positive and negative prongs on the power cable and it is unsuccessful so my guess is something has blown and broken the circuit, but I'm really not sure where to look to find what's blown.

My guess is, as it's not powering up, that it's an issue with something on the power supply board? I can't see any obviously blown caps, I've checked the 3 largest electrolytic caps on it and found one was reading a little over where it should be (it was displaying a capacitance of something like 15% over specification). So I'm going to replace that. But does anyone have any ideas of other things that might be causing it? I didn't think one capacitor reading a little over would be a likely cause of a complete inability to power up, are there any other things to check or is it simply a matter of checking and replacing caps ?

Thank you !

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.