Tascam Model 12 hangs, not reacting

chvario

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi,
for about a week my Tascam Model 12's buttons have become unresponsive. Things seem to work fine without an SD card, or when I put in a new SD card, but as soon as I record something onto it it's just a question of minutes until the buttons become unresponsive, and stay so even after restarting.
Just now I tried again with a new SD card, recorded something on a channel, then pressed stop, now the Stop button stays lit and all other buttons (eg. Menu, MTR, etc.) don't do anything. Even after restarting the Stop button is lit. When I take out the SD card, the light of the Stop button is off, but when I reinsert it, it's on again and the Model 12 hung. But when this happened before, it wasn't just the Stop button, but it could hang/get stuck at any point.
I love this device and am just out of warranty. I can't find anyone mention this problem across Google, hopefully someone here has an idea how I can fix this.

I experimented some more. When I am outside of any song the buttons are responsive, but as soon as I try to load a song, the Stop button lights up and I can't do anything.
I wonder whether I ca

I also tried to rerun the firmware update, which didn't solve the problem. Downgrading firmware doesn't seem to be possible.

Are the SD-Cards from Tascam’s official list, https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/model12_tested_media_list_.pdf , of approved cards?
You could try a third card, that is approved and make sure to format it in the Tascam mixer.
I would recommend a smaller card, say 32 GB. Bigger cards allow for more songs but that means more files and a bigger risk of something going wrong with one of the files on the card that in turn could potentially ruin the whole card, ie all songs on it.

Reactions: chvario
Thank you. Yeah, the card I was originally using was on the approved list, but 256 GB big, and the other one I got at a local Target yesterday is 32 GB, but isn't on the approved list. I had already ordered another one from the list size 64 GB. I'll search online for smaller cards.
I'll update this thread once I tried out different cards.

I had the same issue with other cards as well. After creating a song things get stuck and there's nothing I can do.
I ended up sending in the unit. A bummer, this is not even 2 months after the warranty expired.

Is it normal that they break that quickly? I really liked working with the Model 12, it would be nice to know it's reliable.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.