Tascam MSR 16 popping

Zachary sterman

Gear owned
TASCAM 388, MSR16, M312
hey guys!
been using an MSR 16 with a m512 mixer for the past 5 months. very happy with it!!! really upgraded my sound from the 388.

encountering a problem yesterday, seems all channels have developed a minor popping/crackling noise...with DBX enabled or not. the sound is lower in volume than the noise floor, and also seems to not have very much high end. imagine a popping/crackling in the background with a low-pass filter on top, like moving a mic/guitar cable that has gone bad. ive recorded many songs on it recently, and cleaned the machine extensively.

im going to attach a audio file of the noise, let me know what you think.
no dbx on, playing sounds from channels 1-8.

*ive realized when i record silence into the machine and the dbx is on, the machine is silent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hO1SEnD_FqtpuEtPe4j2TEfjJxB5wKj5/view?usp=drivesdk

Look up "modulation noise" and "bias rocks". Do you hear the problem on older tapes that you have recorded on? Are the tape brands different? Is the tape new-not NOS? Has the MSR-16 ever been calibrated and the bias set up for the tape you are using? Inquiring minds want to know...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.