Tascam Porta 07 Help!

Thomas McConnell

Gear owned
Tascam Porta 07 Ministudi
Hi, I've recently borrowed a Tascam Porta 07 mini studio from a friend. I'm wanting to transfer stereo tracks from Logic Pro into the Tascam and then back out as Stereo tracks.

I've managed the first step... my tracks are on the cassette in the Tascam and when I listen back through the phones slot they appear to be how I want them in stereo.

However when I bounce them back they seem to be in mono. I've tried multiple routes...
1. Stereo 1/4 jack to 2x mono 1/4 jack into inputs 1 and 2 of my sound card from phones slot
2. 2x phono to 2x mono 1/4 jack into inputs 1 and 2 of my sound card from monitor out slot
3. 2x phono to 2x mono 1/4 jack into inputs 1 and 2 of my sound card from line out slot

All routes seem to come back into Logic as a mono file with minimal panning.

How can I get them to come back as the stereo I hear when I listen directly through the phones?

Any other help with the Tascam Porta 07 would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this!

Thanks

Computers and analog equipment do get along but one has to be able to understand the interface and pan option and then what output they are using. I would confirm that the two channels going into the Porta 07 are separate initially on input. Then once that is confirmed, make sure you are recording on tracks with the pans set far left and far right otherwise you would be mixing them together. Once you have that recording in true stereo then you can try to put the signal back into the computer and in the computer mixer make sure you are not mixing the stereo signal back into mono again as this could be where the problem is. When I worked as a Chief Engineer in Radio a lot of new people in the field make all kinds of mistakes with software even when no reel or cassette decks were involved. Computer may be convenient but they also add many levels of complexity that some do not understand but they will have to to get it right.
This is why I have about 200 units here for repair as some do not want to deal with finicky
computers or software anymore.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.