Tascam US-16x08 with a dynamic mic

GazzaPax

Gear owned
Audio Interface US-16x08
Hi,

I have a dynamic Shure PG58 dynamic mic, which I would like to connect to my US-16x08. Can I connect it to channels 9 or 10 using a TS (unbalanced) cable? And if so, should their toggle switch be set to line or inst?

Sorry for this newbie question, but I'm very concerned at damaging the mic.... all my other mics are condenser mics, plugged in to inputs 1-4 (and have 48v phantom power).

thanks in advance for your reply
Gazza

If you can get an adapter or cable that would convert the 3 circuit XLR to a T/R/S configuration, that would be best. Select Mic. You won't hurt the mic. Obviously, leave the phantom power off.

Reactions: GazzaPax
Ok, thanks - I "inherited" several XLR-TS unbalanced cables - and I can't see a use for them with the US-16x08.

But what I will do is, rather than buy an adapter, get a proper TRS to XLR cable, and plug in my mic into that TRS socket. I believe that 9 & 10 on this audio interface don't offer phantom power.

Many thanks for your advice :)

Mark, a final question - assuming I obtain an XLR->TRS cable to go into inputs 9 or 10, I note that it doesn't have a "Mic" option on the 16x08, only Line/Inst - does that mean I need to get something else to lift the signal of my dynamic mic before it reaches the interface, or do TRS inputs 9 & 10 have some kind of pre-amp in there already (and therefore I assume I would select Inst?)

many thanks, again..... Gazza

Last edited:
Mark, a final question - assuming I obtain an XLR->TRS cable to go into inputs 9 or 10, I note that it doesn't have a "Mic" option on the 16x08, only Line/Inst - does that mean I need to get something else to lift the signal of my dynamic mic before it reaches the interface, or do TRS inputs 9 & 10 have some kind of pre-amp in there already (and therefore I assume I would select Inst?)

Microphones need microphone preamps. So the question is, why are you trying to record a balanced microphone with an cable going into a TRS jack, instead of going into a mic pre on an XLR connector?

Is it because of this?

Sorry for this newbie question, but I'm very concerned at damaging the mic.... all my other mics are condenser mics, plugged in to inputs 1-4 (and have 48v phantom power).

If that is the case, please have a read of this article from Shure: https://www.shure.com/en-US/performance-production/louder/top-8-microphone-myths-exposed#:~:text=A balanced dynamic microphone is,it will not work properly.

Specifically, Myth #7 says, in part: "A balanced dynamic microphone is not affected by phantom power; however, an unbalanced dynamic microphone will be affected. Although the microphone will probably not be damaged, it will not work properly."

Last edited:
Yes ... there you have it :). That’s cool, and suggests that, as long as I’m careful, I can plug in the dynamic mic using a balanced cable into channels 1-8 with phantom power on. Thank you for clarifying this.... it’s a myth passed on to me many years ago. Cheers, Gazza

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.