The One I Love, R.E.M. 1987

Discussion in 'Song Mixes: Tracks for review and critique' started by Rene Asologuitar, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Rene Asologuitar

Rene Asologuitar New Member

Gear:
    recorder
    "The One I Love" is a song by American alternative rock band R.E.M. It was released on the band's fifth full-length studio album, Document, and also as a 7" vinyl single in 1987.

In March 2005, Q magazine placed "The One I Love" at No. 57 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. In 2012, Slant Magazine listed the song as the 38th best single of the 1980s.

This song is dedicated to all the girls I've loved before.
    Of course to my lovely wife, Mimi, most especially!!!

2. Arjan P

Arjan P Veteran

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    Rene, I think you missed the violent sarcasm in the lyrics of this song. It's not a love song at all, it's about a shallow breakup at most.. ("a simple prop to occupy my time") Just so you know, I love the song in it's own right and the album it's from is fantastic as a whole.

BTW, on another note, I still don't see the point of your posting a cover performance with guitar and vocal with a link to YouTube every two or three days.
    Mark Richards and Felonious Punk like this.
  3. Felonious Punk

Felonious Punk Active Member

Gear:
    DP-24sd
    I must agree with Arjan. I checked out Rene's profile. Not one post relevant to the subject matter at hand...This is a one sided relationship. LOL

FP
    Mark Richards and Arjan P like this.