Transfer sound issues

Joseph Bologna

Gear owned
Dp-32sd, 488
I’ve been recording on my DP-32 sd the same way for about a year and a half now.. No real problems.
Yesterday, I threw some ideas together for a track - all direct from my keyboard, so everything sounds balanced and great.
Having been out of work for the year, I don’t have monitor speakers; I do everything with headphones. The song I just did sounds really great with the phones (as good as everything else I’ve done). However, I’ve mixed and mastered the thing - sounds great on the Tascam... but when I transferred it to my computer, it sounds super thin and rather distant. I’ve never had this problem before.

I’ve transferred via the USB cable; I transferred again by just manually pulling the SD card. Same result. I’ve remixed the song several times, added low end with the EQ.. I’m at my wits end.
Has anyone encountered such a problem?

(I’ve also made sure it’s still 16b/44100 as usual for me). Help!

If it sounds great on the Tascam there is nothing wrong with the file. The problem must be in your playback environment. Can you check some other files you have for comparison. How do they sound when played on the computer?

Reactions: Noto
Have you checked your computer's media player or general sound settings to see if it is set on a preset EQ setting that is tampering with your mix?
My Windows 8.1 PC has a box to check called Disable All Sound Effects in the Stereo Mix Properties/Enhancements tab

Last edited:
As soon as I'm done with a mix, I put it on Google Drive so I can download it to my phone and other computers. After that, it's earbuds and the car system for checking. I also drive our local stores crazy playing mixes on the stereo systems. The more environments you listen in, the better.

It was my computer. It’s been yelling at me to restart for updates for weeks. I finally did. It fixed my sound issue.

After mastering, I’ll transfer (copy/paste) the whole folder to my computer. Then I open the master mix on Audacity to tweak and trim.
Yesterday, nothing I did on Audacity would fix the horrible “hollow” sound the computer was giving me.

I had recently broken my USB cable and bought a knockoff from Amazon. I thought that THAT may have been the problem.

Nope, just had to update my laptop.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.