Two DR-60D questions/advice needed

Jim Haught

From
Website
haughtcorner.com
Gear owned
DR-05X, DR-60D, DR-10X
New guy here, looking for a little help to resolve a brain-cramp issue.

1) I just bought a NOS DR-60D -- the older model -- and for some reason I am having problems with lavalier mics, whether on CH3/4 or 1 or 2. Have tried them with and without phantom power, and I'm not getting any audio. I believe I've set up the unit correctly, but obviously something is "hiding in plain sight" because I am not getting any output. What am I overlooking here?

2) Lavalier issues aside, the main purpose for buying this unit is to use it as a backup line recorder for podcasting. I'm using a Rodecaster Pro for that, and I want a quality backup recording that is independent of the RCP. Any suggestions on the best way to set this up? I have experimented a bit, but would like the best way to go. I can go the Audactiy-backup PC route, but don't want to count on that.

Thanks for any help.

1) Without knowing which exact lavalier mic you are trying to use, it's guess work. My unseen guess starts with your lavalier mic sending something other than a mono signal and/or the male plug on its cable is terminated in a way that's not compatible with a standard T-R-S mono balanced/unbalanced connection.

I read somewhere that certain recorders don't like unbalanced mics on the inputs.

Thanks for the help. Upon further review, I think it may well be a TRS/TRRS issue, as Art Anderson suggested. I have several lavs -- some TRS and some TRRS -- and need to cross-check all of them. On smaller handhelds, for instance, some "want" TRS (only).

After that I will try to optimize the 60D as a backup line recorder for field use. I don't want to risk losing audio if there is an issue with the microSD on the Rodecaster Pro, and my laptop may not be available to record into Audacity or similar as a backup.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.