Using an external Mic-Pre with the DM-3200

Guitarbin

Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
I plugged my mic pre out to the insert of the DM-3200 half way in so I can bypass the line amp of the DM-3200. This is done using a patchbay because I have 4 mic-pre's and I want to be able to patch which ever I want. The signal is coming through the DM-3200 example on channel 4, but I don't see the signal coming back to protools 10. When I record enable input 4 returning on channel 32 there is no signal. What am I doing wrong? :(

Route the signal to FW card. Depending on your needs use:
1. INPUT BYPASS routing to route signal directly from INPUT to OUTPUT SLOT
2. DIRECT routing to route DM's channel's signal to OUTPUT SLOT

Sorry i'm not quite understanding this routing stuff on the DM-3200. My input screen has the M/L 1-16 returning on Slot 1 -16. My output slots are all bussed 1- direct 1 for all channels not even sure if this is correct.

Guitarbin said:
Sorry i'm not quite understanding this routing stuff on the DM-3200.
You really should learn it. It's essential.

Just think DM's routing system as 2 big batch bays.
1. Input routing
1.1. Every input of your DM (M/L, ADAT, I/O cards etc) is a jack in INPUT ROUTER's batch bay.
1.2. Every channel of your DM has a jack in INPUT ROUTER's batch bay.

2. Output / output slot routing
2.1. Every output of your DM (M/L, ADAT, I/O cards etc) is a jack in OUTPUT (SLOT) ROUTER's batch bay.
2.2. Every channel's DIRECT, AUX, BUSS and STEREO has a jack in OUTPUT (SLOT) ROUTER's batch bay.

Now you see. Routing is just like connecting patch cables into patch bay's jacks. Just follow Captdan's excellent
a. what?
b. where?
c. how?
method in DM Routing 'Zen' topic.

3. Input Bypass / Loopback routing
These are just like patching cables between input and output patch bays.

Guitarbin said:
My input screen has the M/L 1-16 returning on Slot 1 -16. My output slots are all bussed 1- direct 1 for all channels not even sure if this is correct.
Anything is 'correct'. It all depends what do you want. There are multiple ways to do things with your DM. None of these are more 'correct' than any other.

Got it going! thanks to you and Captdan.

New threads

Members online