Using my "multi-track recorder" to record multiple tracks

Mort Sylvester

Gear owned
2488 Neo
Just got a 2488 neo. It has been a labor of love figuring it all out. I have watched the Dave Wills DVD a few times and have made several attempts at the manual (Greek to me), in addition to lots of hands-on messing around and pressing tons of buttons, etc.

One thing that has really frustrated me, however, is I cannot seem to figure out how to record several things at once. For example:

I want to record a drum set. I have 4 mics, all plugged into separate channels and assigned to individual tracks, so that I might find an agreeable mix (of all 4 mics) and then bounce them to a single track.

My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to "arm" all 4 tracks tracks at once. Each time I go to press a new input the input I had previously pressed goes out.​

Essentially I am trying to simultaneously "green" all 4 inputs, with their corresponding tracks, arm them (red light), hit play & record and get my drum take. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

First off, get a manual if you don't already have one. Download it from Tascam here: http://tascam.com/product/2488neo/downloads/

Step 1 - assign input(s) to track(s)

Let's use four tracks. Four inputs (drum mics). One at a time, assign INPUT A to TRACK 1, INPUT B to TRACK 2, INPUT C to TRACK 3, INPUT D to TRACK 4. That's all you need to do about the inputs ...

Step 2 - select tracks to be recorded

To record, ARM tracks 1-4 by pressing the REC button on each channel. All four will light up blinking red. They are now ARMed to record. (this has no relation to the green light)

Step 3 - make the recording

Press the big RECORD and PLAY keys together to start recording. All four armed tracks will change from blinking red to solid red.

FYI:
(The green buttons (SELECT) are used to select one track at a time ... for FX, EQ, PAN, whatever. That tiny screen will display what these settings are for the SELECTed track.)

Ha wow! Thank you so much. I was suffering under the delusion that all the green lights had to be illuminated in addition to the solid red lights in order for the track to be recording.

Just recorded a bunch o' drums. Thanks again my friend.

Downloaded manual and am giving it another read through but I can assure you, more dumb questions are on their way. Thanks again.

New threads

Members online