Using onboard effects before signal reaches computer

Luke Axelby

Gear owned
Tascam DM3200
Hi all,
I love this forum, it helped me get set up and troubleshoot my DM3200 set up with my Mac a couple of years ago. I've been happily making music since.
Currently I only use the DM3200 as an input to the computer and a work surface because the Firewire card sends the signal DIRECT into the computer.
I have a question though about harnessing the power of the DM3200 before it is routed into the computer.
Can I use the onboard effects etc before the signal goes into the computer? I want to take advantage of the onboard effects (and any outboard gear) before it gets recorded.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Luke

Hi Luke -

You can do it a few ways - sounds like for what you are looking for you could use an insert on the channel(s) that you want to apply effects to. Use the “insert” tab on the Routing screen to set up the insert’s send and return, and put it on the proper channel(s). Then, assign the channel(s) to a direct or buss, in order to record the processed signal on the FireWire Mac. The insert can be pre or post fader. You would need to use channels 1-32 on the DM-3200 (1-48 on the DM-4800) for this purpose, though - the last 16 channels don’t have this capability.

you can also print any of your effects returns (whether by Aux or insert) by assigning the channels they are on to a buss or direct in the same way.

hope this gives you come ideas!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hi again - forgot to mention an important step.

To route the buss or direct outs via FireWire to record in Logic, make sure the inputs on the record tracks in Logic match the outputs for the tracks of the DM’s FireWire slot, which you set up on the ROUTING > “output slot” page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks for that.
The whole patching thing confuses me a little so I'll have to read the manual again. I do have the output of each channel set to DIRECT and set the output slot routing to Mic/Line 1 - 16 etc and I get signal and record into Logic no problems.
I thought I could just apply an effect to a channel pre-fader but it looks like I have to patch it to an aux channel and back to the main channel to apply the effect? Still a bit confused but I'll work it out.
Thanks again.

You can apply the effect to a single channel pre-fader using an insert - note that each channel has an insert jack, where u can plug an insert cable - as well as 8 assignable inserts you can enable in the software. From the manual - https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/306/SX1_reference.pdf

“ The SX1 has eight inserts that can be used across the entire mixing console. Each of the 32 inputs has an insert point, as well as the 8 return channels and the master L/R buss. Unlike a great many other digital consoles, the inserts can be external as well as internal, meaning you can physically strap that pair of 1176’s or BA6A’s across the stereo buss if you want.”

Get familiar with the different ways u can use inserts - the ref manual goes into a lot of detail around page 60. And it sounds like you are dealing w the step at the bottom of page 62, “Actually routing the insert to a mixer channel”.

And yes, rather than a send and return, it sounds like this may be what you are looking for. You’ll get the hang of it in no time!

Last edited:
@Luke Axelby It can be simple - also without using inserts (though that also is a way). Personally, I want the dry AD'ed signal to go to the DAW, but if you want the 16 inputs to go to the DAW, first step is also to go to the Output Slot page, where you should assign the 16 BUS channels to the first 16 FireWire channels.

Output Slot page: the left box shows per groups of 8 the 32 firewire outputs. Dial in BUS1 for position 1 (on top of the list) and so further through 8. Then change the view to the second group of 8 (use the middle box, Terminal Select) and dial in BUS9-16. Now your DAW will receive the 16 BUS channels on the first 16 firwire channels.

Now assign for each mixer channel (let's assume MIC/LINE 1-16 are going to mixer channels 1-16). On mixer channel 1, switch ON Bus 1 under Ouput Assign. The Stereo assign button is used to also send that channel to the stereo mixer output. This will get the channel audio on firewire channel 1 into your DAW, including EQ and dynamic or other channel effects. BTW - NOT send effects. Repeat for further mixer channels.

If you want the send effects also to be recorded by your DAW (reverb, chorus, etc.) this will be a little more complicated.. There is also a lot more possible if you make all BUS channels stereo (so 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 etc. will be linked) and you can send multiple mixer channels to the same linked BUS channels (by using Output Assign). But I'd say just start here for now..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.