Using Tascam's DP 008 with Audacity Mixing Software

.Strat Brat

From
Africa
Gear owned
DP 008
Greetings and hallucinations. I am writing this first post of mine in the hopes that I can gain some knowledge about use of the Tascam DP 008 portable digital recorder, in conjunction with a copy of the sound mixing software called Audacity.

I guess my first question would be whether the USB connection between theTascam can unit and my laptop must be removed while I carry out my initial recording on the Tascam. The reason I asked this question is because I discovered that when that USB connection has been made hardly any of the control buttons on the Tascam respond when pressed.

I may be wrong but I would imagine that the disabling of most buttons on the digital recorder, when the USB cable is plugged in, is intended to hand off most of the mixing functions of the recording to the Audacity program on my laptop. Any clarification on this behavior would be appreciated.

On the digital recorder itself, I have found that the sound of my drum machine is barely audible beneath the sound of the guitar, no matter how high I turn up the gain on the channel into which the drum machine is connected. I am still wading through the user's manual of the digital recorder, but the instructions I have followed so far have done nothing to resolve the issue of the barely audible from machine.

I have a slew of other questions, but since this is my first post, I will limit my inquiries to the couple that I've typed above, and hope that somebody might be able to find a moment to point out the mistakes that I might be making here.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered, and I look forward to learning as much as I can from the experts who inhabit this form.

Hi, and welcome! The reason the DP008 does not function when USB connected to a computer is that it simply then functions as an external storage drive to the computer. Only useful to transfer (and backup) files to the computer, or restore from computer to DP008. This has no function with any software running on the computer, and indeed the unit should not be connected when used to record - also the USB connection is not to power the DP008.

For the differences in level, I can only say make sure the output level of the drum machine is adequate, and for the guitar, use the dedicated input and set the switch accordingly..

Reactions: .Strat Brat
Your clarification about the USB connection is much appreciated, Arjan. I will check my switches and output levels as you recommend, to see if I can resolve the weak signal received by the DP008 from the drum machine.

Regards

New threads

Members online