Vocal EQing

Emma Boyd

Gear owned
DP 008 ex
I'm curious as to how you guys go about your vocal EQing. If someone has a rich, warm voice, would you accentuate the low end or would you compensate for the lack of high end by turning the treble up? Likewise, if someone has a thinner tone, would you beef up the low end or emphasise their natural bright tones? Are there any situation where you'd tweak the mid?

The EQ would depend upon how you want it to sit in the mix. Presently, when recording, the only thing that I do is roll off the bottom if there is an issue with that part of the spectrum. Otherwise I leave it alone and only touch it up if necessary during the mix.

That being said, for years my vocal chain consisted of an LA-2A and a Pultec tube EQ. I normally boosted the top either 5k or 8k (depending upon how the singer's voice sounds) and also boost the bottom at 100Hz. Sometimes I would take out some of the problematic frequencies between 1k and 2k if it sounded too nasal.

That's good to know, MJK. I'm a big fan of getting the tone as close to how I want it to sound going in so I don't have to do too much to the EQ afterwards. I have a warm, low natural tone to my voice so I've never been sure whether to emphasise the bassier frequencies or dial up the brighter tones to compensate. Based on what you're saying, I'll experiment with rolling off some of the bottom to make the vocal pop a bit more. Thanks.

@Emma Boyd there are many ways to make vocals "pop" (which is a term we never used in the 80s, btw) that also involve discreet use of compression. Feel free to start a thread in the Recording 101 forum.

I never use EQ on the mic going in, but try to use placement/distance and mic selection to get to a basic well-balanced sound for the singer. Then, in the mix ofcourse it may be necessary to use some EQ to make it fit - then I always try to take things away rather than add in the EQ use. That's not always possible, so no fixed rule there..

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks Arjan. It's useful to think in terms of taking away rather than adding.

New threads

Members online