What size is the TASCAM 58 extender card?

Mega-Ohm

From
Great Southern Land
Gear owned
M-600, 58-OB, 52-B.
Hi.
Does anyone know the dimensions of the rec-play extender card for the TASCAM 58 tape machine? I need one but have never ever seen one for sale, and can't even seem to find an image of one online. I thought I'd try to make one. The channel cards are exactly 80mm high, so I assume the extender card would be the same, but I'm not sure how long it should be. Channel caards are 180mm long, so at a guess, 125mm would push it out enough to give access to all the bias traps and trimmers which are a bit further back on the cards but still give enough grip for the card. If someone actually has one, could you measure it and reply?
Thanks, G.

*Sigh*. I can't see any function on the forum to send a PM, and none of your profile information is available. Unfortunately I seem to proving the quotation in your signature block....

Could you measure the card and post results? All I need is the length.

Someone is selling an MS16 on Reverb at the moment, conveniently omitting to mention that there is no rec-play rack, it's just a transport. "Tested and working...pulled from a working environment"! I hope some noob doesn't make a terrible mistake. It's looks like it's done a lot of work.

PM is called 'Conversations' here. Click on the envelope symbol (RH top of page) and select Start New Conversation.

Got it Arjan, thanks, I sent a Conversation.

I'm making good progress with my 58, but I'm having trouble with very low record levels on channel 8. Applying some pressure to the tape path with a wooden skewer brings the level up, so that's either bad head wrap tension or bad heads. Visually the heads look good, and ch 8 recorded normally until recently. I've been mucking around with the tape path guides but it hasn't fixed it. I'm going to try adjusting the reel table heights today, I realised that this problem started only after I'd removed the motors for cleaning.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether there is any benefit in biasing a 58 for +9 (RTM SM900 tape)? My other choice is to use SM911, which I think is a +6 bias. I've read about changing C42 from 100p to 180p, and I'm prepared to make that change, although I can't seem to find the right component - an equivalent for the old polystyrene caps in 180p seems hard to come by.

New threads

Members online