Will the DP24 work for me

Gregory Bowron

Gear owned
Tascam dp24
I have been playing karaoke songs that I download from youtube on a Jamcube 2 and singing with them and recording it on the Jamcube 2. Works great except it doesn't have any flexibility to adjust recording levels afterwards and it has a lot of hiss/noise so I'm looking for a better way... If I buy a DP24 and input audio from a DVD and a mic will it record this combo and will I be able to adjust the relative levels of recordings on the tracks afterwards? Does this sound like the machine I need for what I want to do? There are many karaoke machines out there but they seem to be aimed at singing at the bar or parties and not trying to make quality recordings. Thanks for your thoughts in advance from an old man that doesn't really know whay he's doing.

If I buy a DP24 and input audio from a DVD and a mic will it record this combo and will I be able to adjust the relative levels of recordings on the tracks afterwards...Does this sound like the machine I need for what I want to do?
The portastudios are professional level gear.

The posts in the "Tutorial and Informational Videos" sticky thread pinned in the shaded area at the top of the first page of this forum demonstrate the portastudio's capabilities. Videos 1, 3A, 3B and 10 are probably most relevant for you.

The "Production Tips" and "Equipment Related Tips" sticky threads pinned in the shaded area at the top of the first page of this forum explain how to integrate outboard gear (in your case either a stand-a-lone DVD player; or a DVD player or .WAV files from a computer) into the recording process. The first post in each sticky thread has an index of topics covered.

Together the information in these sticky threads should help you decide if this level of sophistication is what you're looking for; and if it's something you'd be comfortable using.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I think that it is way way too much for what you want to do. Portable hand held units can do what you want. 4 and 6 track Tascam and Zoom models exist.
I have the DR40 that has two xlr inputs and two inbuilt mics, but you want one with 4 inputs, two for your stereo backing tracks, and another for your mic .

Reactions: dctdct
... If I buy a DP24 and input audio from a DVD and a mic will it record this combo and will I be able to adjust the relative levels of recordings on the tracks afterwards? Does this sound like the machine I need for what I want to do? ...
Agree with @BazzBass : Already the basic handheld and portable multitrack devices will cover your needs. Important aspect is: You can mix and master whatever you recorded later in the device. And - as multitracker - you can have several overdubs (or takes) in parallel.
Of course: the big DP-24/32 will cover this too.

oh yes, for sure if your longterm aim is to record more tracks, get the desk :)

good luck, and if you get stuck or unsure of anything, ask here, there are some very experienced people that are only too happy to help.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.