Winding tapes issue with Portastudio 244

Aaron Cottrell

Gear owned
Portastudio 244
Hi chaps!
So ive got a Portastudio 244 that i'm currently refurbing, i've nearly got it running perfect except the tape deck in it won't wind tape on. I took the deck out and noticed that the drive spindle that swaps back and forth between the two spindles that wind the tape (bare with me i don't know the "official" names for all the parts, i usually handle CD decks) had lost its rubber bands due to deterioration, as such i was left with a sticky black mess all over them.
I've cleaned all the mess off and put some new bands on them (one to give torque to the winding spindles i assume) and one that straps around the motor, but it doesn't seem to have helped. The tape feeds fine but doesn't get pulled to the other side of the cassette, instead it just feeds down into the cavity in the deck and i need to use a pencil to wind the tape back up again.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what im missing or what may be going wrong, i'm getting a bit lost now as to what else can go wrong.

Cheers!

I have actually just checked with a tape in the machine and when playing only one of the tape spindles, the left one which feeds the tape, is spinning...could this be the issue?

Sounds like your capstan isn't turning. The capstan is the silver spindle just above the pinch roller in the tape deck. It should turn 100% of the time the machine is on. If the capstan isn't turning, you probably need a new belt. If the capstan is spinning, the problem is likely something to do with your pinch roller (the black rubber wheel). The tape transport functions by closing the gap between the capstan and the pinch roller, essentially feeding the tape into the take-up reel.
I had the same problem with an old 414 MKII and it required me to buy a new washer to hold the capstan in place. To test this, flip the machine upside down. If you hear a little 'click' when it turns upside down, you've likely lost the washer to your capstan. I can recommend a website that can sell you one if that is the issue.
Best of luck!

New threads

Members online