16 track digital recorder to pair with older analog mixing board?

RickyLee

From
Riverside CA USA
Gear owned
DP-03SD, 2488 MKII, TSR-8
I am keeping an eye out on the used gear market for a digital recorder that is at least 16 tracks, similar to the Fostex D-160, and preferably Tascam made lol. I have been googling the web and the only Tascam recorder I have read up on so far like this is the MX-2424. I have an older 16 channel mixing board that I can make work for 16 tracks of recording, and of course will be using all my old outboard FX gear.

Now I know I am going to get flamed on this one, as in why am I going backwards here. I do already have a Tascam 2488 MKII and a DP-03. But I want to also have the option to record more hands on with my old mixing board.

I have been seeing some Tascam MX-2424 machines for quite cheap actually. I am figuring I could make that work and then have the extra tracks of 17 - 24 for bouncing or doing mixdowns? But then on these machines, I am not seeing the analog ins/outs. So I am wondering what else I would need to obtain to make that machine adapt to my analog board?

Have patience with me guys, as I am just getting back into recording after many many years and technology has whizzed right on by me lol.

EDIT/ADD: Oooops. I just noticed I might have posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Mods, please move this if you need to.

Last edited:
I see 3 analog inputs and 3 analog outputs. I don't get what you mean by "extra tracks of 17-24" though, since both machines you referenced are 24 track.

Attachments

• MX-2424-rear.jpg
    MX-2424-rear.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 3
I am figuring I should not even bother looking at a used MX-2424 unless it comes prep'ed with the analog I/O and the snake(s).

@mjk: I was referring to only running 16 tracks of the 24 track machine, due to my mixer only having 16 channels. The MX-2424 does have a sweet feature of higher resolution running as a 12 track machine. But yes, that would be with the MX-2424 having the analog I/O supplied.

Reactions: -mjk-
That pic shows what I was looking for. The machines I seen for sale did not have those D25 cards on the back. Thanks for posting that.

Ricky, is your mixing board an actual recording console with at least 8 buses, channel outs/inserts, tape returns etc.? You didn't actually say what you have.

I don't tell people what to do. I only tell them what I would do. So, let me put it this way: I have one of these, and I'm recording my new album on a DP-32. I'm not going to connect this to a DAW, the latest multitrack solid state recorder, or anything in between. I'm going to use it only for it's legendary mic pres.

Attachments

• 1540862807064.jpg
    1540862807064.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 7
I want to utilize my my old mixer mainly for putting down drum tracks and possibly recording the full band type situation. This would go well beyong 8 tracks simultaneous record that my 2488 MKII can do. I would put this 16 channel digital recorder in the place of my old reel to reel tape deck, as to obviously not have to wear out the tape machine as well as fuss with the tape for this not too important stuff.

I will be far from recording anything polished or making an album on this setup, that is for sure lol.

The mixing board is still buried away in my storage, as I will be getting it back out soon. I need to look up the specs on it again myself. It is nothing to brag about really, just a Panasonic Ramsa WR S4416.

I should say, for my simple needs and preferring the old school hands on board controls, the new Tascam Model 24 is really sounding good to me . . . .

Ricky, not to mention that it's a standalone unit and not a cobbled together bunch of old stuff that other people got rid of, honestly. The Ramsa has 4 buses and it also does have direct outs. But you're still gonna end up paying much much more money than it's worth to do it that way just to connect the Ramsa to the recorder. I do have the interconnect cables for the Ghost, and I'm still not gonna go that route. No automation!

Reactions: RickyLee
I hear ya mjk.

Yeah, in the end, I always try to remind myself that The Beatles did Sgt. Pepper on a 4 track and then did not even start using an 8 track machine until The White Album lol . . . .

Even more astonishing is Queen II on 16 tracks. But with Mike Stone behind the desk.... Point is, recording is not a formula, where you buy all the "right" things and connect them together in the "right" way, and that guarantees good results. Better engineers produce better results by thinking through limitations.

Reactions: RickyLee

New threads

Members online