16x08 Questions - Using Direct Outs

wolfdogg

Gear owned
16x08
On the 16x08, how do you approach recording with the direct outs from a mixer? I'm going to try it the next time my band plays out. I'm trying to figure out how to approach this. If I use the direct outs on my board (MixWizard 3 16-channel with TRS direct out on each channel), I assume the fader sends the signal, but that's also controlling the house sound. Using inputs 1-10, I have control over the input sends with the 16x08 but for inputs 11-16, the signal could well be too strong and there's no control on the Tascam unit or in Reaper (as it should be as I realize that would affect playback volume). I've heard of guys using all 16-channels to record live. How are they making sure that signal is set correctly for those last 6 channels? Ideally, I set the faders to unity and the signal comes in perfect but what if I set the house sound and I'm clipping on all the channels? Is it just a matter of tweaking the gain and faders until the volume works for house and DAW?

Last edited:
Check on the mixer's manual if the sends are pre or post fader. or maybe there is a switch to select pre or post fader. its recommended to select pre fader, and then you set the levels for recording on your DAW

If your mixer's outputs are balanced, be sure to set the switch to +4dbu on the tascam for each pair of inputs, if they ar unbalanced set the switch to -10dbv

New threads

Members online