1st Live performance recording

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Greetings everyone,
First an update on my monitor issue. Being that the Sterling MX5 studio monitors were a low level set, it was frustrating trying to find anyone interested in diagnosing, let alone fixing one. So I bought a pair of Rokit 8's , and relegated the one good Sterling left to my Motorhome studio.

Now here's an issue I think will interest you. I'm friends with arguably the best blues guitarist in the Pacific Northwest, who is also my Guitar instructor. I'm honored to be recording/producing some new material he has, and he has been absolutely gracious and patient with me. My friend has been asked by two outstanding and celebrated musicians to sit in on an essentially unplugged event (gig) with them, and they've asked me to record the event for them, which is terrific of course. The trio are well respected musicians, and if I succeed, and do well, well ? But man if I don't, I might end up like my Sterling monitor relegated to medocrity. So I haven't yet said yes. I want to desperately, but may not be qualified. The setting for the event is a medium sized blues bar with brick walls on three sides. Behind the stage, and to the left and right of the band facing the audience. It's just the three with acoustic guitar, and base. I haven't agreed to do the job yet, but my times up, and I've got to them an answer.

I have a mixer, condenser, and dynamic microphones and my DP24. Should I insert some effects live, or just record flat, and add post performance?
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated please.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I would leave any effects, EQ, etc for post production.

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, do the cleanest, most transparent recording you can, and by all means, 24bit 48kHz.

Reactions: Mark Richards
If you can, get their direct signal as well, on top of the mics. Also, if you can spare the channels and mics, take a separate channel or two to record the audience - always good to have control afterwards. (and I had some experience where the audience audio was terribly low/bad sounding from the instrument mics)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.