2 TASCAM DM-3200 Cascaded

Thales G Tonin

Gear owned
DM 3200
Hello I have some questions regarding the operation of 2 DM-3200 Mixers Cascaded together. Any one with experience cascading 2 mixers??

I have one already, and I'm thinking about buying a second one to upgrade my studio setup. I was not able to find the answer for these questions online, so that is why I'm contacting the support.

- How do I monitor the 64 channels (32 channels per mixer) of both mixers?? The master mixer becomes the main connection port?? If this is the case I should connect the studio monitors, and P.A. system to the Master mixer in order to monitor the 64 channels.... Correct?

- Can I operate with both mixers fully expanded?? Meaning, I can reach the 32 channels in each mixer (64 total), connecting ADATS or other forms of preamps, right?

- Regarding the routing, can I route, for example, preamp 1 of the slave mixer to, for instance, channel 3 on the Master mixer? Or am I only able to route the preamps of the slave mixer to the channels on the slave mixer??

- Regarding the recording process, using the IF-FW/DMMKII firewire card,
if I use one IF-FW/DMMKII firewire card in the Master Mixer, and another one in the slave mixer, can I record simultaneous 64 channels of audio in the DAW?? In contact with the Brazilian dealer, he thinks that I'm able to do it because a have a Mac computer. He thinks that I should connect the 2 cards (one in each mixer) and connect two firewire cables into the Mac. Then in the Mac, I should go to the setup AUDIO MIDI CONFIGURATION, and aggregate i/o, so both firewire setups can work together and give me 64 channels of recording audio. Do you guys think its plausible?

Thanks so much for the help of everyone!
Cheers guys!!!

The master unit has all the busses and auxes fed out to it, so monitoring is through there.
If you need additional routing between the units, connect a TDIF cable, etc.

But:
The cascade cable is out-of-production. Don't buy the 2nd unit until you know you have a cable.
Neither the Mac and PC drivers for the IF-FW/DMmkII will not recognize 2 devices, so you can't aggregate to 64 channels. Other customers have expanded their track count by using a combination of IF-FW/DMmkii and MOTU interfaces.

RedBus.

Reactions: Thales G Tonin
Hello Redbus! Thanks so much for your reply.
Do you have more info about how to expand the track count using the combination of IF-FW/DMmkII and Motu interface? Do you know wich Motu interface would give me this ability??
Thanks so much mate! You really helped me!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.