2488 LCD Issues

Tom Boyles

From
Southern Oregon USA
Gear owned
DP-32SD, DP-32, A2340SX
Hey all... thank you for popping on this post to see what my dilemma is.

I know it's a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone has had a 2488 LCD screen do this and if there's any way to correct it. (Permanent black LCD "pixels" on the display.) I'm assuming maybe this is a LCD "leak"?

See image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1THOX81yNBn4EY5CJbCcL24rI271N231z/view?usp=sharing

Otherwise, anyone know of a replacement?
-- OR --
Anyone have a broken 2488 good for parts? ;)

Thank you.

To answer my own question after much research... if the screen on any of the 2488 family PortaStudios (2488/2488MKII/2488neo) has issues that show black "leaking" out, there's not much that can be done but replace it.

I bought this 2488 used to do some clean-up/repair. (Side-note: I'm of those people that think music gear needs to be treated with respect and care and when I see something like this 2488 that "wasn't working", I feel it needs to be brought back from whatever doom it had met.)

Well, this poor 2488 was badly treated. I got it in and opened it up to be horrified by it's condition. It was as if this thing was in a garage or attic and subjected to dirt and moisture. Or worse, something got spilled all over it. The person I bought it from gave no indication what had happened... just said, "One day it stopped working".

Unfortunate risk when buying something online via photos and someone's "honest" description.

I gave it my best to clean it up with DeoxIt D5 and F5 cleaner hoping buttons and faders would see new life. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. The display was not the only issue this poor thing was suffering from.

On a much happier note... I also bought a used "non-functioning" 2488neo and it was is far better condition. All it needed was a good clean and a new hard drive. It is working fantastic.

I used to have a 2488neo that had a SATA 160GB hard drive and CD drive in it. I learned very quickly that not all 2488neo units used SATA drives. I was surprised when I cracking this one open and found that it is set up with IDE.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.