2488 OG won't start now

Manslick

From
Louisville
Gear owned
So after like 18 years my original 2488 won't light up.

When I press the power switch I can hear some very faint noise and a click sound.

The impression I get is there is a latching relay that is not engaging.

Anyone else have this happen? How'd you get it fixed?

Thanks

Well it started. I had all the faders all the way down. One day I thought what if I move some. And boom on it comes.
I remembered I had set the fader action to jump or catch so after it came up I checked and set the fader action to real.
So yeah I have been using for a while now but...
When it come up, it always loads a song off of Part-1, not the last song.
I have searched but can't find anything about the last song loading on start.
Anyone know anything.
Thanks

Well now it is dead.
It starts, comes on, but nothing responds now, no reaction from any control/button.
RIP 2488.

• Sad
Reactions: -mjk-
Sorry to hear that. My 2488 and my 2488 Neo both did the same. DP-32SD has done me well since then, so more than 5 years now. Good luck with it.

rct

Reactions: Manslick
Hey arct. Thinking about getting a model 24. But it really isn’t a beast like the 2488 so I’m not sure if I would be happy with it or not. I read another thread on here where someone got a model 24 and expected it to be like a porta studio. But the model 24 Is almost too sexy to resist.i L O L

If you are used to a portastudio type environment, the Model series might disappoint. They are FOH mixers with rudimentary SD card recording and USB connectivity capabilities.

Reactions: Manslick and shredd
If you are used to a portastudio type environment, the Model series might disappoint. They are FOH mixers with rudimentary SD card recording and USB connectivity capabilities
"That".

I was a 2488 guy for over 15 years - from the 1st release up through the 'neo - and when it came time to upgrade again, I looked reeeeealll hard at the Modelxx's....VERY nearly came out of it w/a '24.
But I put manymany weeks of consideration into it and ultimately settled on the DP-32, with the condition that I could find an OG (w/the MIDI capability) - almost 8 years after it'd been replaced by the vastly inferior DP-32SD.
It took me 6 months, but I eventually got a reasonably good deal on a mint-condition OG '32, and save for a snag here n there, I'm as happy as a pig in Bantha Poo-Doo.

They are indeed vastly different in their intended role/function, and many have failed to adequately assess their strengths/weaknesses and capabilities/features before choosing - and paid for it. The forums are FULL of posts of people who bought a Modelxx, and within days/weeks are posting about "how to make it do xx or yy" and "why does it/doesn't it do xx or yy" and "I love it but I wish it did/didn't do xx or yy".

You have my condolences on your '88's demise. I was devastated when mine started to enter the dementia stage (buttons stared to not respond, yada), and it started to impact my workflow. I sold it to a very light user who's very happy with it...and I'm rippin' along with my OG '32.

Listen to a wise ol' sage like MJ (and a crazy ol' fool like me) and do your homework - d/load the OM's, read blogs/reviews/etc, and make a realistic assessment of what you want/need.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Manslick
Thanks shredd and -mjk- - yea this info does it for me.
Yesterday I watched some videos on the M24 where folks were using it like a porta and man the hoops they were accepting were not looking like fun.
Like no redirect of input. You have to bounce the track using cables.
No compression on playback.

Nah.
Thanks

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes @Manslick that cable bouncing made me cringe when I read that. Still, people swear by them. It's ok with me but I can't work like that.

New threads

Members online