2488 vs dp24

Steve-o

From
Ohio
Gear owned
488, 2488, dp24
Hi, I am kinda of new here, was on here a while ago, but could not log in. could not get password, so staring over.

I have owned the tape unit 488, and the 2488 which I seldom used, too hard to work w. menus & scroll wheel. So years ago I started to look at the dp24, nice display, knobs! I do know menus are still used. Well, I finally bought one. I was surprised & how cheap it is made sitting next to a basically new 2488. So, I am very disappointed, have not even used it yet, wondering if it is worth it. I expected a better made product.

And the 0 on the sliders is all the way up, I find that strange, is not on the 2488.

So, I don't know if I should return it or not?

Any suggestions. I remember an old post, don't have the log on, but said the 2488 was a real beast.

Any help appreciated.

Random thoughts:

I don't know much about the 2488 - but they seem popular and well spoken of around here.

Regarding the DP24...

I would not worry about the *appearance* or your perception of the build quality. Bottom line is... a) what are you wanting to do with it, and b) does it have the features you're looking for in order to accomplish those goals?

You could hardly do better for an all-in-one box at this price point.

I absolutely love mine. Primarily because after using two of Roland's VS series and a couple of different computer based DAW's... I find the workflow and ease-of-use of the DP *perfect for me*. It's dead simple to quickly and easily lay down and develop ideas. Moving files is a snap, audio quality is excellent, and while there have been a few minor snags with file errors and such over the last 3-4 years - none of that has been even close to a deal breaker.

Probably the best thing you could do for your self before returning the DP-24 is to sit through at least the first several Tipping tutorials (find them at the top of this forum) to get a grasp of the block diagram as it relates to the basic functions of the machine. These tutorials are well done and extremely informative and should be quite helpful in deciding whether you want to keep it or move on. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I do have another question, but it is more specific, so I guess I should star a new thread.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.