3rd pair of monitors. DM4800

Shachar

Hey guys,
Wanted to get any ideas that you might have on this.
Just got a 3rd pair of monitors and was wandering if there is a way for me to flip between 3 pairs of monitors with the DM 4800 as it only has 2 monitor outputs. Any creative work around? Or will i have to by a separate unit for monitoring?

Never tried, but maybe you could try sending your signals to the linked stereo aux channels 1-2 or 3-4, etc. and then OUT through asignable sends.

Reactions: Shachar
Not Sexy Department: I use a simple 3-way speaker selector box to switch between 3 different passive monitor configurations. This has worked flawlessly for years, but it won't earn you WOWS!! from clients or neighbors.

:)
CaptDan

Thanks but that was not the question.

Seems to me it was.

"How do I use more than two pairs of monitors with the DM4800? Do I need to buy more hardware"
"Well, one way is to buy a nice switcher box like this Crane Song thing. So, yes."

How is that not an answer to your question? If you had said, instead, "I for sure absolutely do not want to buy another piece of gear," then, maybe yeah. But you didn't.

Which box are you using Dan?

Would that work with the DM's monitor outputs and powered monitors? Maybe I should grab one before Radio Shack takes it's upcoming dirt nap.

Seems to me it was.

"How do I use more than two pairs of monitors with the DM4800? Do I need to buy more hardware"
"Well, one way is to buy a nice switcher box like this Crane Song thing. So, yes."

How is that not an answer to your question? If you had said, instead, "I for sure absolutely do not want to buy another piece of gear," then, maybe yeah. But you didn't.

Hey buddy, It was not the question at all. I asked for a creative way of doing that with the DM. Or would the only way for me would be to buy another unit. And i defiantly did not ask a recommendation for which unit i should buy.

Not sure if that box is good for active monitors, Jim. For me, with a passive system, a single power amp drives all the monitors, so cross referencing is more reliable.
Not sure how you'd wire that up in your scenario, or if it's even worth the trouble.

CaptDan

Hey buddy, It was not the question at all. I asked for a creative way of doing that with the DM. Or would the only way for me would be to buy another unit. And i defiantly did not ask a recommendation for which unit i should buy.

Well, golly. We're all real darn sorry for not paying closer attention. We'll be hanging on every word from here on out, you betcha. As for creative ideas... Why not try one of your own?

Captain, I've thought about adding a small mono speaker for checking bad phase errors, collapsing the sterro out to something like a single Auratone. My aux outs are spoken for, but I'm sure there's a cool guy solution.

Any spare assignable sends? You could use a pair of those, but you'd also need a ref amp for powering the 'horrortone.'

Not a very cool guy solution but workable. :)

PS: If by 'aux out' you mean those sends then, nevermind. It's late. :)

CaptDan

Yeah, I shoulda said "assignable." I have them assigned as aux outs to some Lexicon reverbs I still rely on.

I'm totally confused. I am on the Tascam.com site right now (sad to see Tascam officially listed the DM4800 as legacy/discontinued) and the rear shot of the DM4800 clearly shows THREE monitor outputs (Large, Small, Studio)...which tells me you shouldn't have to spend a dime to do what you want to do.

The DM3200 has only Large (control room) and Studio and I have a pair of speakers to both in my console room. The trick is when using the Studio output, you have to go to the monitor screen and control the volume with POD 4 (at least that's how it works on the DM3200). It's a small hassle but it works and I didn't have to buy anything additional. Also when using the Studio outputs, it appears the MONO button doesn't work. Still, if your goal is to compare stereo mixes between monitors then this works just fine. Also for a 3rd or 4th monitor, you could sacrifice one of your headphone outputs. Hey, you asked for creative! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff
Headphone out! Duh. That's perfect for my monocube. I've got a 6-output headphone distro amp sitting here and could just put the cube on top of that rack, no sacrifice made. Man, talk about thinking inside the box...

Reactions: cmaffia and captdan
Well, golly. We're all real darn sorry for not paying closer attention. We'll be hanging on every word from here on out, you betcha. As for creative ideas... Why not try one of your own?

Are you PMSing? No one asking you to watch every word you say but no one asked you also to put words in my mouth! I did not attack anyone. I even said thank you but it was not my question. so pleas don't tell me it was. Learn how to read. As to creative ideas i have enough of my own thank you. But i thought this forum is to share information but i guess its more for smart ass remarks by it's members.

the rear shot of the DM4800 clearly shows THREE monitor outputs (Large, Small, Studio)...which tells me you shouldn't have to spend a dime to do what you want to do.

The DM3200 has only Large (control room) and Studio and I have a pair of speakers to both in my console room. The trick is when using the Studio output, you have to go to the monitor screen and control the volume with POD 4 (at least that's how it works on the DM3200). It's a small hassle but it works and I didn't have to buy anything additional. Also when using the Studio outputs, it appears the MONO button doesn't work. Still, if your goal is to compare stereo mixes between monitors then this works just fine. Also for a 3rd or 4th monitor, you could sacrifice one of your headphone outputs. Hey, you asked for creative! :)

Yes but i don't think you can separate the studio one. It just comes out the master.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what you mean by "you don't think you can separate the studio one". The DM has 3 separate outputs for Large, Small and Studio. you have a volume knob on the console for Large and Small and you can use POD 4 in the Monitor Menu to control the volume for Studio. Maybe it's different than the DM3200. Then again you can use one of the headphone jacks as I suggest as well.

Headphone out! Duh. That's perfect for my monocube. I've got a 6-output headphone distro amp sitting here and could just put the cube on top of that rack, no sacrifice made. Man, talk about thinking inside the box...

I guess you never heard of .... Drum roll..........
Impedance.

Inside the box? Now thats funny. headphones amp are not made to be used by speakers. The impedance is deferent. Now thats ok if you are not serious about your monitoring. But if you really care about how to monitor your mixes then i would learn a little more about it and not treat your monitors as if they were an ipod connected to you car stereo. Inside the box. Thats really funny!

you can use POD 4 in the Monitor Menu to control the volume for Studio.

Now that i didn't know. Pod 4? Thank you. I'll check it out right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding creative ideas on how to drive monitors, may I suggest GAIN?
You can listen to your favorite monitors driven directly from CR and never hear deep into the mix.
Buy that amp, it has a great DA and maybe the best headphone amp to boot. Connect CR and an AES to it and listen all over again

New threads

Members online

No members online now.