Adobe Audition vs Audacity

Spyder

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and home recording as well. I have a simple question: I plan on recording guitar, bass and vocals with my DP-24 and using EZ Drummer 2 for drums (until I eventually record a live drum set), and then export .wav files from my DP-24 and EZ Drummer 2 to an editing program (and then bring all those tracks back individually into my DP-24). Most articles and videos I've seen have mentioned to use Audacity, which is supposed to be pretty good. I have a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, which includes Adobe Audition, so price isn't an issue. But I'm not sure if Audition is meant for putting songs together with the goal of recording an album. Can someone let me know if I should use Audacity or Audition? Some forums say Audacity just because it's free but that's not the issue. I want to use whichever one is best for this process. Thx!

Hi!

What you are describing is EXACTLY how I use my 2488!!!

Either Audacity or Audition will work fine, but I use Adobe Audition
especially for drums. You can gate, compress, etc. every drum separately, then put each one back on the Tascam as a tighter, cleaner version of itself.

This works GREAT for comping vocal takes/guitar solos in Audition's multitrack mode. Also really nice for mastering your final 2-track mixes. Yep! That's what I think, anyway!

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,
Thank you for replying to my post, much appreciated! After I added this post I went to Adobe Audition's web page and saw they have a ton of video tutorials so it was good to see some of the possibilities of that program, so it's great to hear from someone who is doing what I plan on doing and getting great results from it, so I'll definitely take some time to learn as much as I can about Audition. So from EZ Drummer I'll export each track separately (instead of a stereo track) then do the gate, compress, etc, in Audition. I wasn't sure it has that functionality so good to know! I also noticed on Audtiion's page they have some guitar effects too, although yesterday I just purchased a Zoom MS-50G MultiStomp Guitar Pedal, which has over 50 effects, and I can actually use up to 6 together. So I think I'll spend time finding my sound with that, then instead of micing up my Marshall amp (I live in an apartment haha), I'll just record directly into my DP-24 (guitar > cord > pedal > cord > DP-24). Have you tried this approach?

I wasn't sure if it's best to master the final 2-track mixes in Audition or my DP-24, sounds like you do that in Audition. Quick question: after you do all your editing in Audition, do you then export those individual .wav files back into your 2488 and overwrite the original guitar/vocal tracks with the newly-editing tracks? That's something I'm not sure of. I presume you would keep the originals and then export all the newly edited tracks in a new song project on your 2488 so you have both versions, but I'm not sure. I guess people could make a master from either Audition or their recording console, I'm just not sure which is best.

One more thing (sorry for all the questions): my DP-24 has options of recording at 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz. I know CDs are 44.1KHz, but is it best to record at the higher level so that the original higher quality is there, and then I can export from Audition at a lower 44.1 if needed? I know some editing programs only accept 44.1KHz.

Thanks again for your earlier post. I realized my reply is much longer than yours so hopefully you had the time to read it!

Hi!

The Zoom MS-50G MultiStomp Guitar Pedal sounds like a good idea, especially when neighbors get involved! Sometimes, I’ll mic an amp (not TOO loud), or use different amp simulators, pedal, or whatever! I’ve even had pretty good luck using the 2488 amp simulation effects. One time, I retroactively added tremolo to a solo via the 2488 effects… nice to be able to fine tune!

One great thing about using a DAW (including Audition) along with the Tascam , is that there are LOTS of free VST plug-in effects out there. Try searching for "GVST" and "Cockos", they have some great stuff for no $$$$. This is where I got my noise gates.

As far as mastering goes, I have the2488 MKII and NOT the Neo, so it doesn’t have any mastering capabilities. I’ll mix the song to 2-track on the 2488, then put on finishing touches (limiting, EQ, etc) using Audition. Luckily for you, you have choices here!
Also, the MKII is strictly 44.1kHz, but if I had the Neo, I’d probably opt for 48 kHz. Since Audition can do either one (plus a whole lot more).

Last edited:
Thanks again for the info, much appreciated! I didn't even know what VST plug-in effects are so I'll be doing some Googling for that. Also thanks for the mastering tips as well. And I'll probably begin my projects at 48 khz, so thanks for suggesting that. I've now got a ton of learning to do with my DP-24, EZ Drummer 2 and Audition, should be fun. Thx again!

Absolutely! If any more questions crop up, don't hesitate to post them here!

I have one very basic question and I can't believe it's so difficult to find the answer: I just want to record a click track on one of the tracks before starting any song, is there a simple way to do this with the DP24 without needing to transfer a basic beat from EZ Drummer 2 to my DP24? I presume I do this with the 'metronome' and set it to 'record' (and set the tempo), but how do I record that click track to track 1 for the length of time I need the song?

Hi, I have actually done this with the 2488 so that when I transfer tracks to other devices, the Click track could go with them.
One way you could do this is to generate a click track with an outside device (cell phone, metronome, etc) and record directly onto a track.
Or if you would like to generate the click with the Tascam, take the output of the Tascam and put it directly into an input! Make sure that you have the fader down for that input or you will get crazy feedback! Then just record for about as many minutes as you estimate your song to be.

Hi there, thanks again for your replies, much appreciated. I'll just record a basic drum track from EZ Drummer 2 as a click and send that to my DP 24. I was going to create a new post about something else but you've been so helpful I'll ask you first haha: this may seem like a simple question, but can I attach two headphones to the DP 24 for recording? I'm going to record a friend soon and first we'll record his acoustic guitar. Then we'll record the vocals, but for him to sing along to the guitar track I'd want him to have headphones to listen along to the guitar, but I'll also need headphones while recording him. There is just one headphone jack at the front of the console. How can I add a second set of headphones for him to listen to?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.