Advice for new users Advice for longevity

MarkGl

Gear owned
interested in DM4800
Hi everyone, so happy with my new purchase, still a lot to learn though.
Although I can tell it has been really well cared for, I am aware that the machine is old, and feel like I am walking on egg shells.
I hope (fingers crossed) to keep it running for many years yet.

Does anyone have any advice about maintenance?
How do we keep things running smoothly?
How long have you been using your machine?
Any horror stories or mishaps?
Any hurdles that were overcome?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The same good habits that keep all the gear safe -

Think through what u want to do before you do it.
Keep a clean studio w no food or drinks near the mixer.
Power the board down using the proper method.
Power down before you pull or plug.
Keep a log of error messages, what u guess they mean, what you learn they actually mean and what you did to address them
Keep the software and hardware that the mixer deals with consistent, don’t swap peripherals in and out without confirming pinouts and spec
When you see a problem, breathe. Don’t get panicky, worried or worked up because that blocks your troubleshooting
If the vibe feels bad about something, slow down and think it thru again

And last - don’t mix angry

Overall - remember that you got this board for a fraction of its list, and unlike many products it’s performance doesn’t degrade with age. Treat it well, learn how it works and solve the problems that come up patiently, not rashly, and you will get many times worth the price (list or used) in value.

Last edited:
Also, learn the board fully. There are a lot of features that help the mixer keep operating properly - for example, on the AES cards there is an option to defeat muting of overload signals - which you usually do NOT want to enable.

Knowledge about the board is the best way to keep it running come what may.

Thanks for responding.. taking my time to read through the material provided here.

Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online

No members online now.