All is well with DM on High Sierra

waterstrum

Veteran
Gear owned
dm
Just a note to say that my DM4800 is working fine with Mac OS 10.13.xx. (.02/.03)
Audio and transport functions are working perfectly.
TMC works as expected.
Not sure why, but USB is working better. (very specific to my configuration)
I used to have to occasionally replug the cable to restore connection, but now it is completely stable.

I'm amazed that this ancient mixer is still up to the task.

I was thinking that High Sierra would be the last gasp, but the DM continues to live and breathe music.

Well, the info you and others have offered give me hope. I have every intention of updating my Mac-mini from Mountain Lion to High Sierra in a couple of days (today is March 27 2018) and hopefully within the same day updating Pro Tools to 12.8.3. I think I have the latest/greatest FW driver located on my desktop. Simply put, I'm terrified of this move but feel I'm being forced because some web-sites (banking for example) require a newer OS than Mountain Lion. Other applications suggesting updates have the same issue. I can drive this Mac or the DM-4800 but fixing it...tuning it up….that's something I'll never be able to do. I have to rely on the masters on this forum to pull me through. Frankly, some of the discussions these guys have seem like advanced chinese algebra. Love the DM-4800. Hopefully updating goes not rough and I'll still have a usable mixer in a few days. But yes…I'm terrified.

Forgot I posted the previous. Roughly two weeks ago I did the OS and Pro Tools updates to the latest and greatest versions. The updates went mostly ok. The only thing that did not go well was the ability to use virtual or real midi gear via the MOTU Micro-Lite interface. Spent 5 1/2 hrs between MOTU support and Sweetwater support over two days but finally got that part corrected. MOTU eventually gave up so I turned to Sweetwater and they pulled through again. It took awhile but the guy battled and won the day for me. Don't know what anybody else's opinion is of Sweetwater but their tech support is populated by geniuses and wizards. Much like the guys here on this forum (excluding me of course).

Now, if I could just get someone to help me with getting the newly purchased meter bridge to work. I'm at a total loss. I will try Sweetwater but since I didn't purchase the MU-1000 there I doubt much if they'll be motivated to give any help. I know I can't be the only guy here with a meter bridge running Pro Tools thru a Mac and a DM-4800.

Glad to hear the DM 4800 can work together with High Sierra. We did try all drivers of the site and didn't work. Is there a thing we are missing or another driver to fix This

Hi Guys, Just got a new MAcbook pro system running High Serra 10.13.5 . Any chance you could send a link to the drivers for a DM32ooo??? please :(

Hi best of teams. Just got hold of a Mac Pro with High Sierra 10.13.6 and right now I would really love to use it as a complement to the X48. As much as I love that machine, the X48 that is, I do all the mixing on the computer, of course, but it would be really nice to have the computer working with dm4800. Just to be able to work with the mixed tracks as more instruments are recorded. So, is there anyone of you guys who still has the old drivers for the dm4800 somewhere?
Thanks

I’m sure some folks use beta drivers and/or firmware other than these, but I have found the drivers and firmware on the tascam site are still rocking.

https://tascam.com/int/product/dm-4800/download

Here is my own take - I had my dm-4800 system based on a Mac w Logic on High Sierra via the DM’s Firewire card, but i found the x-48 timing, reliability and responsiveness was far better than the DAW. Also, Firewire was a bit too high latency to use as an effects/plugin dsp insert i/o or monitoring source, so i took the Firewire card out and went w 4 digital i/o cards and various MOTU interfaces. It is low latency, inexpensive and lets me use the x-48 where it shines (as a multitrack digital hardware recorder), but I can bounce or print 48 tracks to Logic for spot edits to stems or tracks as need be. Any kind of interface will work for this purpose, but a brand w networked audio like RME, Presonus, MOTU etc lets u combine and route the audio between the interfaces and their connected computers and sound devices. As an alternative, using a USB shuttle drive I can import the x-48 project into the Mac for Mac specific stuff and then open it back up on the x-48.

Last edited:
I will have that in mind @mixerizer.
But however, I got it working(!).
The drivers from the official site did not work, unfortunately, but I found another page from the Tascam forum:

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/software-drivers-and-firmware-dm-4800-macos.5583/

which actually worked.
Tried to download it from the computer but it did not work for some reason. But then I downloaded it from the phone, worked just fine.
And so today, when I had the mixer plugged in, ran the installation, it worked.
Solid.
So now I am going to try it out. The mixer worked just fine with the PC but in that case, the computer was just rubbish so I think it is going to work alot better with the MAC.

woo hoo! thats great, glad to hear it is working for u now. enjoy!

Reactions: Magnus

New threads

Members online

No members online now.