An Appeal on Behalf of Idiots

Stew71

From
UK
Gear owned
DP-24, DR-07, Model 12
Hi all

Chief idiot speaking here, with an appeal to do the obvious - as so often prompted on this forum - and BACK UP YOUR FILES!

I've just lost about 3 weeks' worth of material through my own stupidity.

I'd got pretty laissez-faire about it since having a couple of new and completely faultless SD cards for several months; absolutely no glitches, no matter what I did. "Great", I thought. "An entirely functional machine at last!"

Yesterday, having exported some tracks to the Audio Depot, I thought I'd transfer them to PC in my usual fashion (remove the card, access it directly from the PC).

All was going well, until I noticed the File Explorer window had disappeared. Went to reopen and got a 'this disk is not formatted' Windows error (ie card not readable, no drive letter assigned). Multiple attempts on this and three other PCs (all Win10) gave the same result.

"No matter", I thought. "It's just a Windows glitch, the DP24 will be fine."

It wasn't. "No card" said the DP24.

The long and short: I downloaded several recovery applications. One called ZAR did the best job, although the DP card file structure was a bit strangely distributed. What I got back, were:

- partial reconstructions of the songs in the MUSIC folder; some tracks intact, some garbage (digital noise)
- some v-tracks intact, others missing or garbage (a lot of the material ZAR had placed in a folder ominously labelled "Fragments" - including the whole MUSIC folder)
- all Audio Depot contents intact - except for one file (more in this in a moment*)
- a whole folder of WAV files (which ZAR put into a separate folder) which turned out to be old Audio Depot contents (so interesting/useful potentially to know these might be recoverable) - sadly not from my recent work

[*when I was exporting to the Audio Depot initially, I had an export error first time around. It was fine second time. This is the only error I've had with these cards in the DP24. I assume the garbled recovered file is this one (TRK01_01 I think it was called).
This export error had followed on from me trying to cut the length of the track prior to exporting: what I'd recorded was three passes through the whole song, making very long tracks, and I wanted to trim them back to a usable length first. This involved deleting markers and moving the OUT marker (which had been right at the end) before the export operation. I wonder if this created the export glitch in the first place perhaps.]

What I'm missing:
- most of the 'hidden' v-tracks, which just leaves me the bounced stems which had been exported
- my dignity

What I've learned:
- BACK UP EVERY TIME
- I may revert to using the DP-PC USB link, although it's slow, rather than accessing the card directly through Windows; I wonder if Windows 'did something' which messed up the card's structure/contents
- When I bounce down (to free up tracks), I will probably export those original tracks before moving to new v-tracks (if I'd done that, I'd probably have all the recordings by now; as it stands I need to recreate all those bounced parts)
- don't mess around too much with the markers, maybe, until after I've safely exported to audio depot
- BACK UP EVERY TIME

Please feel free to post 'told you so'-type posts. I deserve it!

Stew

Sorry that happened friend. That sucks. But thank you for the reminder! I've gotten a little lazy at times and need to have more discipline when it comes to backing up song data. Having a computer always connected via USB cable really makes it where there is just no excuse.

BACK UP EVERY TIME
Good advice always. What you experienced really sucks.

I wonder if Windows 'did something' which messed up the card's structure/contents
It's likely the result of any one or combination of:
  • not using the DP-24/32/SD USB port to transfer files to the PC (as David said above); and/or
  • not using a tested/approved-by-TASCAM SD card; and/or
  • not buying the SD card from a reputable dealer (counterfeit SD card); and/or
  • not installing the most current firmware.
The Equipment Tips Sticky has several posts related to SD card issues.

...deleting markers and moving the OUT marker (which had been right at the end) before the export operation. I wonder if this created the export glitch in the first place perhaps.]
Audio Depot/Export copies the entire length of the recorded song (not individual track lengths) by stitching together the various snippets (created when editing, punching, etc.) into one contiguous .wav file. Blank space is inserted wherever there's not recorded material on an individual track (that's how exported .wav files stay in sync). Markers and In/Out points are ignored. I believe this also is discussed in the Equipment Tips Sticky.

For those who avoid the "inconvenience" of using the USB port:
You at least might want to write protect the SD card before inserting it in the PC.

Last edited:
Live and learn @Stew71 and don't beat yourself up over it. Good reminders, thanks.

Reactions: Mark Richards
For those who avoid the "inconvenience" of using the USB port:
You at least might want to write protect the SD card before inserting it in the PC.

That's a really good idea.

The cards, which I bought in March this year, were on the tested/approved list in one of the threads here and have been rock solid until now.

I haven't upgraded to the most recent firmware (that came out in the past month or so), perhaps I should.

Reactions: -mjk-
Good tip for write-protecting the card Mark. Re. updating firmware, most updates include "Operation stability has been improved", so my thoughts are they are continually tweaking the sd-card handling to make it more reliable. Thanks for the (painful!) reminder Stew; hope you manage to recreate those lost masterpieces.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.