Analog In and Out

Let's start from the beginning...........

You see activity on the DM's meter bridge, but no audio is heard. If so, this indicates that signal is being passed from source to mixer, but it's not being routed to the monitor (stereo) bus.

Most often, this indicates that the monitor bus is disabled (STereo button not lit, or enabled for the wrong channel). This can happen when you select a channel on the wrong layer. Be sure to FIRST Select the correct layer before zero-ing in on the channel you wish to monitor. Say you're working on Channels 1/2; so select Layer 1 first. (I know this sounds basic, but even experienced DM users sometimes forget).

Your routing input screen (attached previous) shows M/L (mic/line source) routed properly into the DM's inputs. As Cmafia suggested - try plugging a microphone into Channel #1. Then move Channel #1's selector switch (above the trim pot) to 'MIC.' Be sure Fader Module #1 (that's what Tascam calls the channel strips) is assigned to Stereo bus (Stereo light on). Increase gain on Input #1; through headphones, check for audio.

Just do that much without using an iPod or any other line level source. This excludes the possibility of an impedance mismatch or other connection problem.

CaptDan

What's odd is he says he is not seeing an input signal on channels 1 or 2 but he sees a level reading on his firewire channels in his DAW. Please make sure nothing is plugged into those INSERT jacks as well. Again I think you don't have the correct channel selected to the stereo buss because you are on the wrong fader layer.

Hi CaptDan.... For this input no I don't get any LED activity. Just plugged in MIC (Rode NT2 w/phantom power) into channel 1 and still no audio. Headphones or Speakers. No LED's either

I think you don't have the correct channel selected to the stereo buss because you are on the wrong fader layer.

I'm using Layer ch 1-24

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure Channel 1 is going to STEREO buss? Are you on the correct fader layer thinking you are pressing STEREO for channel 1 when you are pressing it for channel 17 or 33?

I'm using Layer ch 1-24
I'm at a loss then..are your volume knobs up for the headphone or CR monitors? I know it's silly but there are no other explanations I can think of. The next form me is hardware failure unless again I am missing the obvious too :)

Yup... I'm at a loss as well.

Will do. Have to run will follow up with this later this afternoon.. Thanks guys so much for your time and energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try another channel.. try them all.. maybe channel 1 and 2 are blown out??

I would suggest trying a preamp/input in the next 'bank' up. If M/L input #1 is fried, the adjacent 7 may also be shot. Not sure, but I think each array of 8 inputs is part of the same circuit card.

CaptDan

Last edited:
I'd suggest creating a new project if already not done so as it smells like a routing issue. What is the DM outputs connected to? Confirm that you are using the main analog XLR outputs and what your feeding the DM outputs to is working by using some other gear to feed that input for testing.

He's not even hearing audio in headphones. He's not even getting levels on input that's why we asked him to try other input channels as a next step. He may have bought a used DM3200 with blown preamps.

Good morning and thanks for posting! Looks like I do have a hardware issue! Was on the phone with tascam tech support and as I suspected , playing audio through the board should be that easy. For a while there I was starting to believe I was out of touch. I'm calling the service center this morning in my area to see about bringing it in for repair. Fortunately there are some honorable people out here as the guy I purchased it from advised he'd pay for the repairs. I'll let you guys know once it's diagnosed just in case another forum member runs into this same issue!!

That's good news. At least now you have a course of action. Keep us posted.

Absolutely ! Will do. Taking it in as we speak. I have a lot of work to do and this was slowing me down. :/

At least you can be satisfied you tried everything logical before assuming something is broken. Frustrating as it is, that's the best way to troubleshoot complex devices.

In my opinion.

CaptDan

Hey everyone! Hope all is well out there. The problem ended up being a loose connection somewhere in the top analog portion of the board. While the technician couldn't tell me exactly what was disconnected, he said it probably was the result of the bouncing around during shipping. Everything is working fine now so problem solved! Thanks everyone for taking the time help!!!!

Reactions: DJ X
congrats!

Reactions: Dave Smith

New threads

Members online

No members online now.