Audio Depot & Thumb Drives

Dave Zippi

-I am a very happy owner of a DP-24. Initially, when I first got it I would get the disturbing “infamous” Pops, Clicks & File Errors but then I became a big practitioner of “Delete Unused”. I also never take my SD Card out of my DP until it’s a bit full & then insert a new one.

-Because of this approach I never have file errors, pops & clicks” anymore. I have a small Bedroom Studio & never use a computer. My computer is in a different room.

- However, I need to eventually transfer my music files to a computer to upload to a Streaming Platform. I’m wary about taking my SD Cards in & out of my DP.

-QUESTION:

-Can one use a Thumb Drive with Audio Depot to Import & Export files back & forth to a computer???

THANKS! Dave

Hi @Dave Zippi - I also am a happy DP (old-guard 32) owner. Great units!
Very encouraging that you're not having any click/pop/errors issues...I don't really either, and I think it comes down to appropriate/correct use and "good housekeeping" (like your using "DeleteUnused", which I'm also attentive to, in addition to a good backup-routine).

A couple of tips for you: you are VERY wise to not be constantly removing/inserting SD cards...that's a recipe for card and/or reader wear/failure, and other than changing cards for recording space/organization, is TOTALLY unnecessary, due to the DP's robust USB-to-computer interface. I practically NEVER remove my SD card.
I have a USB-to-computer cable plugged into the DP's USB port, where it stays all the time, to be plugged into my laptop when needed for backups, file movement/transfer, and AudioDepot functions.
And - like a bazillion other threads here - recommend using only Tascam-approved SD cards...inferior/incompatible cards cause 90% of the problems people have. The list is available everywhere online.

To answer your question (Can one use a Thumb Drive with Audio Depot to Import & Export files back & forth to a computer???) - that'd be NO. The USB interface requires a computer, as the DP is not a computer and does not have an operating system to identify/operate computer file systems.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks, Shredd,
I guess I'll have to find some space in my studio for a computer after all.

Reactions: shredd
And because the OP didn't mention it - regarding pops and clicks early on.... have you updated to the latest firmware?
Yeesh. Forgot that too. This is why I usually let the smart-ysh guyz here answer the technical questions, as I'm too distracted by having to remember which way the pointy end of the guitar goes every time I sit down to play.:p

The current-version f/ware on my O/G DP-32 is ver 1.13-0063...

Um...resident Village Idiot checking in here...

For the OP: another very useful operation to become familiar with to get your DP to play nice, be stable, and minimize the demands on the unit's limited processing power:

"Track consolidation".

The basic gist here is that you trick the DP into taking the (oftens) dozens of "zz" file segments it has to keep track of to comprise your complete track, and smoothly melds it into one continuous "zz" file/track.
I find this particularly beneficial, because I tend to record enormous amounts of track segments, lots of punch-in/outs, and I do a TOOOOON of editing to get my recordings into usable shape (Freddie Mercury would've slapped me into the next week if he had to work with me!!!).

New threads

Members online