Audio interfaces and DAW

PatrickM

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32
Hello everyone.
I've been using the DP-32 for many years and am now considering purchasing an audio interface and a DAW and using a computer.
I was wondering if anyone else here has gone from using a DP to using an audio interface. And if so, what did you end up purchasing? The key here for me is to not lose the advantages that the DP32 provides.

A hybrid system works best for me right now. Described in my sig. This post and the one following it detail the process I use.

There's a very good comprehensive thread on stand-a-lone v. D.A.W. in the "Recording 101" forum of the "Rock 'n Roll" section.

You'll also find related posts in the two sticky threads of the "Recording 101" forum.

Last edited:
Hello @PatrickM and welcome to the Tascam Forums.

The key here for me is to not lose the advantages that the DP32 provides.

I think you are referring to recording with the DP machine.

The DP machines are not directly compatible with a DAW except that the audio files can be exported from the DP and imported to a DAW. If you were going to use the DP exclusively for recording and the DAW for mixing/mastering, you wouldn't need an audio interface at all. You would just import the tracks into the DAW and start mixing.

Reactions: dctdct
Thank you both for your quick responses.
To mjk: yes, after reading Mark's post describing his process, I am realizing that an audio interface is perhaps not necessary at all.
I was tempted to replace my DP32 with an interface and DAW, mainly to reduce the size of my work area (audio interfaces are much smaller than the DP32) and also because I was tempted by end of year sales on interfaces.
Though I'm still somewhat tempted by the hype surrounding certain interfaces, a hybrid solution like Mark's (DP32 + DAW) sounds pretty good and very efficient.

The key here for me is to not lose the advantages that the DP32 provides.
What do you consider these advantages to be? That's an important one I guess.

I myself went from a DP type recorder/mixer (Akai DPS-16) to DAW plus interface + control surface. Meaning Cubase Pro and the Tascam DM-3200 mixer with IF-FW 32-channel FireWire interface. Never looked back. The only thing that was getting problematic was location recording, which I didn't do much of anyway..

Reactions: -mjk-
My experience is quite similar to @Arjan P. Once setup to record in the DAW that recording workflow became easier because it was always ready to go.

what I think I will end up doing is record on the DP then export into Reaper for editing and mixing, although I rather like having faders and knobs rather than a mouse so I'm still undecided

Reactions: -mjk-
Many people do just that. @BazzBass do you happen to have the original DP-32 with MIDI?

New threads

Members online