Bad to leave DM4800 on for long periods of time? (Been getting digital pops/artifacts on tracks)

551Studios

Gear owned
DM 4800
As the title says, I've been having some issues for a while with getting random pops/cracks on recordings...

I run a DM4800 for live drum/instrument recording (sometimes as many as 15-20 tracks at once) into a 12 Core 2.93 Mac Pro. Had 96 gigs of ram initially (then 72 gigs when a dim went bad around the time this started happening), an SSD system drive, and an HDD for recording onto. This problem seems to only happen in Logic, and not Cubase as far as I could see.

At first I thought it was a computer issue, with my HDD running out of space, and also a RAM dim going bad. So I bought ALL new ram, and upped the quantity to maxed out at 128 gigs; and also replaced my recording HD with a Samsung 850 Evo... So the computer should not have been an issue anymore.

I was wrong, I still had issues with pops and cracks. I had been leaving my console and computer on for a while (days at a time...), and tried shutting them off to let them "cool down". Still no dice.

As far as logic went, I narrowed it down to maybe changing the buffer size back in November (had no problem running 32 samples for forever until this happened). Changed it to 128 and hadn't had any issues, until it start occurring again today. Even bumped it up to 256 for today's session and still had issues.

After upgrading the computer, it seems it might be a board issue. Is it possible I've maybe hurt my board or fried the firewire card by leaving it on so long? I don't ever have this issue in Cubase, where I still run a 32 sample rate... Could it be the board and logic just don't like each other?

As far as today's trash on the tracks, I'm almost certain the pops I'm hearing aren't printed to the tracks... I think... Because after constantly playing back the troubled sections, there are moments when I'm fairly certain the pops and cracks don't show up... It's inconsistent and random, varying in intensity and sometimes not even happening; but always in the same spot when it does happen...

Has anyone else had this issue? Starting to really get on my nerves because people are paying me money to record them and this crap is ending up on their recordings...

If you don't have an issue with Cubase then logically it's not the DM Mixer causing the problem. It sounds like you have a Logic ASIO/buffer setting issue.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.