Best Imac and most powerful for DM3200

Darryn

Veteran
Gear owned
dm3200
If there are any users of IMac with there DM3200 i would like to know your experience with this, for example does the firewire work properly with Protools 10 or any version (especially with newer models) or more importantly does thunderbolt connectors work with firewire?

how do the drivers work especially with El Capitan and newer operating systems, and the overall handling of extreme multi tracking and plugin use? I am myself looking at getting an IMac, but am trying to do my research in these areas to no avail.

the limitations i'm having with my macbook pro are loud fan noise while tracking, poor cpu so i cannot add many plugins.

Thanks all, i hope i get some responses :)

No takers? i just realised most new Imacs still have a firewire port so no problems there.

mac mini server. Combined with two touch screens.
Thunderbolt to firewire cable.

For Studio Hackingtosh, 2x Intel Xeon - 8 Core, 128 Gb Ram, 2x2TB Samsung SSD, 4x6TB HDD. OSx 10.10.5 . PT11&12HD, Cubase, SO3.
For Mobile Recording 1x Mac Mini, i7-Quad Core,2.6Ghz, 16Gb Ram, 2TB Samsung SSD, Sonnet XMAC Mini Server, Avid HDX Card ,OSx 10.10.5. 24TB NAS. PT11&12HD, SO3.
Even Mac Mini alone has pretty power to do all the things you need for recording and editing Audio. Only with a high count Track session and 96khz the little guy can get slow.

Thanks! Hey, has anyone had experience with dodgy firewire adapters? Going from thunderbolt to friewire 800?

2015 15" Macbook pro, 27" touch screen (Slate Raven MTi2), 43" 4k TV, UAD Apollo Twin + UAD Octo core Satellite, OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock (with working FW800). No issues here with my DM-3200 + IF-FW/DM II.

I've used a few different Thunderbolt to FW800 adapters, first the Apple one, next a cheap chinese one, and third and current the FW800 port in the OWC dock. Never had issues with any of the FW adapters.

Running El Capitan with no issues on my rig.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.