Can the M320 do 16-track recording?

PGBW

Can the M320 do 16-track recording?

I just bought one. Picking it up tomorrow.

But I'm looking at photos of the back of the unit more closely and I don't see enough PGM outs and tape ins to do 16 tracks.

Anyone in here have any experience with this?

I'm looking at the manual and it doesn't seem possible, but maybe I can use d-out/input? But I don't think they can be repurposed for tape deck io.

The M320 has 20 incoming channels, that is more than enough.
You link the D/Out to the tape recording inputs and the line input can be used for monitoring (tape out). Since the mixer does not have a flip switch, you need to manage the switching another way. Later series, such as the 3500 have a "flip" switch for this purpose.
Program outputs are needed for down mixing mainly. The process is described in the SM up to eight channel.

Last edited:
If nothing is plugged into channels 1-8 the 8 tape returns get routed to the first 8 channels on the M320 : Tascam's solution to a "flip" switch. Back in the 80's I used one with a Fostex 80 to record bands.Though it was made for eight track recording you could ;with creative patching ,use it for 16 tracks . There are direct outs, line ins, and inserts on all 20 channels. The problem with using the direct outs, if I recall(it has been 40 years) is you loose the ability to utilize the eq going to the deck. The M520 was made for 16 track recording. The "B" models, M320B, M520B also have phantom power for the preamps.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.