Can you demystify the MIDI page?

snafu

Veteran
From
Germany
Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200 + IF-FW_DMMK II
Hey guys,

Recently I went through some old notices, because I wanted to attach my Dm 3200 to a midi patchbay. Of course I found nothing - just an old photo I made of the midi page with the anotation: "Adjust everything as on this photo!"
Indeed, that's what I was told back in the day, when I had to set up my DM for the first time. So I went over to the user manual - but the explanation is very thin.

So, can anyone demystify what this picture says (s. attachment)? I am very confused about the so called "switches" - I can see, I can open/close some of them with the ENTER button of the DM. But why is beneath USB HOST the switch to USB connection open? (I don't use MIDI cables at the moment, and my DM is connected to my PC via USB, but midi just works fine??)

And why does midi 5 REM has to be closed, as well as 6 REM - and what the heck does it mean?
Any insight would be very much appreciated! Thank you very much,

kind regards
snafu

Attachments

• midi_pg1.jpg
    midi_pg1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 29
Hey @snafu, here's what I know. I'm sure others can add to this.

The DM is in the middle of all this (MIXER) obviously. To the right is midi over usb, which you have connected to the computer. This connection advertises 6 midi ports to the computer (7 on the DM 4800):

1. connects to TM Companion, for settings, firmware updates etc.
2. used to connect the physical midi ports to the usb connection (through the filter, so you can switch functions on or off to be filtered or passed). Yours is open at the moment, so no data will be passed from the physical ports to the usb and vice versa. You can use this to connect any midi device with a physical connecter to the computer.
3. MTC = midi time code, I use this in Logic to make sure the DM (and therefore the meter bridge) displays the time code
4. program change / control change messages
5. remote 1 - translates the first 16 channels to channels in the DAW for remote control (HUI or Mackie) and vice versa, including faders, pots, mute/solo buttons etc.
6. remote 2 - idem for channels 17-32
(7. on the DM 4800 there is a remote 3 obviously, for channels 33-48)

To the left are the physical midi ports. What exactly is filtered by the filters left and right I'm not completely sure. Not at the desk at the moment, so this should probably be more clear from the other tabs in this screen.

Anyone care to add/correct? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Hi @Marvel, thanks for answering. The fog starts to lift - slowly.
Interestingly you wrote:
2. used to connect the physical midi ports to the usb connection (through the filter, so you can switch functions on or off to be filtered or passed). Yours is open at the moment, so no data will be passed from the physical ports to the usb and vice versa. You can use this to connect any midi device with a physical connecter to the computer.

Currently my DM is connected to the PC via USB and Fire wire (since I use the FW extension card). I have no MIDI cables connected whatsoever. My USB I/O is according to my settings open (s. pic in first post). I do work with MIDI right now (like in Reason 10). The Midi is audible, and I can edit, record, etc. So this got nothing to do with my DM? If so - I'm totally confused! I included another pic showing the preferences in Reason. As far as they go, everything midi is assigned to my DM (s. pic in attachement). Why is it working while the USB I/O switch is open?

I have an old M-Audio Axiom keyboard for playing midi instruments - it's connected via USB to the PC. I guess I could connect it to the DM? So a midi Patchbay would have to route to the DM as central unit - not the other way around?

confused - as always ;-)
cheers
snafu

Attachments

• pref_reason.PNG
    pref_reason.PNG
    172.3 KB · Views: 8
I can see your confusion. However, you are confusing the physical midi ports (DIN) with the usb. Midi/usb port 2 is ONLY used to make sure that any midi device connected to the round ports on the back of the DM can communicate with the computer.

So even though you have port 2 enabled in Reason there is no data coming in, since there is nothing connected to the physical ports (or is there?).

As for the keyboard, the connection you made is fine. Since Reason is able to see it over its own midi-over-usb you can continue using that. It probably also has a DIN connector and IF you would like to use that, you would connect it to the midi in on the back of the DM. Then you should close the switch for usb2, as explained above. But why would you? :)

And finally the patchbay. How many midi connections do you need? Any device that has midi in/out/through can be daisy chained using the DM as the central hub, since it's able to pass midi messages to the computer via usb port 2. Although I could imagine some signal degradation when there are too many in the chain.

Hope this is more clear. Otherwise: shoot! :) I'm by no means a midi expert though, but acquired some experience over the years.

Watch my Pro Tools video - ot explains everything in detail. It's pinned up top.

@Marvel
However, you are confusing the physical midi ports (DIN) with the usb. Midi/usb port 2 is ONLY used to make sure that any midi device connected to the round ports on the back of the DM can communicate with the computer.
Face-palming myself --> you're absolutely right, I did! I just read USB I/O, and it seemed so suiting that it meant the actual USB connection. Can't believe I didn't realise this for the past ten years :(

Good thing is - the picture becomes a lot more clearer! If I connect my keyboard to the MIDI-ports of the DM the whole midi party goes dead. Closing the switch - magic :)

And finally the patchbay. How many midi connections do you need?
Actually 4 (four devices in total). I also got a emagic Untitor 8 midi patchbay from back in the day - but that was way before I got the Tascam DM! So, after getting the old stuff from the attic, I thought, I could build up a little midi setting: every device connected everytime to the PC, so I would just have to hit run, and would be good on the go. Thought the unitior would come in handy. So, you say I could skip the unitor completely, and therefore make the DM my midi patchbay?

I thought I could patch all devices into the unitor, and go from there to the DM. But as far as I see, this is still an option?

The more I read over your post again and try to get it covered with my setup and pictures, the more I can see what's going on. Thanks, man, this helped a lot!

@jamsire: didn't watch the video so far, but this evening I'll have the chance to sit back and give it a try. Thank you.

I thought I could patch all devices into the unitor, and go from there to the DM. But as far as I see, this is still an option?

Yes it is, @jamsire explains this (briefly) in the video (I just watched it and learned some really cool stuff which will probably work in Logic as well). So even though the video is about Pro Tools, you will definitely get a better understanding of the midi parts in de DM. Or better, watch the Cubase one, because Pro Tools is very different from almost any other DAW. :)

Of course now I realise you ARE using Pro Tools, so the video is right for you. :)

Er...actually I am using samplitude pro x 3 suite :cool:

Haha, I wonder where I got that idea. :)

New threads

Members online