Cannot get high enough recording level from mics on DP-03SD

Jembo

Gear owned
DP-006 & DP-03SD
Hi.

My name's Jem and I've recently been getting back into basic recording, after about 15 years completely out of the game.
I'm not a pro in any sense but spent my youth in bands, for about 20 years.

(Before I go further, can I preface this by saying)- I did read the 'please read this' and have had a look around, and have tried searching.
Various things are still a bit confusing (to me!) and I'm not managing to find now even a thread which I came across before signing up, via google.
So apologies if I've got anything wrong and am annoying anyone here. I do feel I have tried not to.
The thread that I searched for again (once logged in) was from only a few months ago, and was about exactly the same issue as I now have on the DP-03SD.

My problem is that I cannot get a high enough recording level from the mic inputs on the DP-03SD.
I've recently bought the machine and am still getting to know it a bit. I also have a DP-006, which I've not had very long either, but know better, and that is working perfectly.
The mic is a Shure SM58.

The input/possible recording level just seems incredibly quiet, and registering as such not only through the headphones level but also in terms of the visual display.
I have to have Trim on full, even to get the low signal that I have. Which is far too quiet. There's a fair bit of hiss, due to Trim being set on full.
I also have all faders set up virtually to the highest level, too, in order to hear it.

I then tried using the same mic on my DP-006.
That machine has the option to choose input levels of Low, Medium or High that can be selected under 'Input Setting'.
On that I found that the mic was too quiet when on the low setting, but fine when on the High setting.
So, the mic does not seem to be the problem.

But the DP-03SD doesn't have this choice of Input levels for mics, does it? I can't find any reference to it in my manual, nor on the machine.
Or am I missing something?

I've tried both inputs, A & B. I've tried multiple times, turning off and on again, etc.

I've used the machine's built in mics before now, and they seem to be fine, giving much higher possible levels.

Additionally, I've also tried using a condenser mic which I own. I haven't used that for years, and from this I am getting absolutely zilch.
Obviously that requires phantom power, so I switched that on, but nothing comes through except hiss. In that case POSSIBLY the mic has died, though I can't think of any reason why. Anyway, I acknowledge that is a possibility, and I have nothing else currently that I can test it with.
(One side question I have is: Regarding the phantom power, is that only usable with the XLR input, not the jack input?)
My mic leads are both XLR to jack, so that's what I'm currently trying - and was fine on the DP-006.

I think my leads are fine. I've tried two, and there is no crackling or anything else that suggests that they are the issue.
Plus of course the one I used when testing the mic on my DP-006 was absolutely fine.
The leads have never had much use in fact and were of good quality when I bought them

If anyone can help with this I would be very grateful.
I'm wondering if my new DP-03SD is just faulty and I should return it.

Very many thanks,
and again I'm sorry if I've inadvertently been annoying in terms of how I've used this forum.
Humbly,
Jem

the dp008ex is a fairly similar machine . There'll likely be options in the menu to select input type line input eternal mic input or whatever . I use a condenser mic also with a single Channel preamp and think I ignore the phantom power on the multitrack. This is from memory as I've not done any acoustic inputs for a year

@Jembo,
My problem is that I cannot get a high enough recording level from the mic inputs on the DP-03SD.
The SM58 is a voice dynamic microphone that works good with strong sound pressure. It has to be connected to the DP-03SD XLR input with the input switch on "Mic/Line" position. Be sure that the phantom power is disabled before turning on the recorder with the SM58 connected; Phantom is provided only on XLR connectors. Provided you place the microphone at an optimal distance from the source, start turning the TRIM knob clockwise until the Overload indicator start blinking on the loudest notes then turn it back slightly. At this point you should have an optimal input level ready for recording/mix.
All these informations and much more are available on the OM.

Last edited:
Hi Max,
Thank you very much for your answer. I will look for the online manual (I'm guessing that's what OM is). I didn't see any information in the paper manual that suggested I was doing anything wrong. If I missed it then my apologies, but I certainly looked.
Interesting that I need to use the XLR input, even for a non-condenser mic (and don't worry, I will not turn on the phantom power). I'll be having to buy a new lead before I can try this (mine is xlr at the mic end but jack at the input end) but I guess this will be the answer I needed.
Many thanks again and all the best,
Jem

Reactions: Max Relic
Hi @Jembo,
you are right, it's the Owner's Manual. Sometimes even the best written manual can't provide all the answers (or provide them in the desired form) and one has to find his/her way and build knowledge with practice and observation, but all we have to start somewhere. Microphone XLR-XLR cables are widely the most suitable, one good reason is that in pro mixers/recorders XLR inputs have higher sensitivity than TRS (line) ones. At least in major brands products, I wouldn't swear by cheap products :)

• Love
Reactions: Jembo
Cheers. Your reply was very helpful and I am very pleased the machine isn't broken! Will be picking up my new lead asap! All the best, Jem

Reactions: Max Relic

New threads

Members online

No members online now.