Can't Copy, Insert at all?

Filament

Gear owned
Portastudio DP-32SD
I apologize if this has been addressed before. I've checked numerous threads, and have viewed all of Phil's excellent videos - and have purchased his excellent 'How To' materials (thanks, Phil!).

I've made sure to set a 'Mark Point' of a from-to range. And tried different destination tracks. I currently have my project utilizing BAR, as opposed to ABS params. However, the appropriate range in the 'green' areas shows the appropriate range (in ABS) and is confirmed by toggling to ABS (from BAR) in the 'metronome' settings.
The range is identical.

It doesn't matter what track (stereo) I specify for the destination - and whether it does or does not contain music 'data' that already exists that I want to overwrite (COPY/INSERT or COPY/PASTE) - it just never performs the function(s). Since I never get an animated 'reel' - this may be a 'giveaway' that no operation is taking place. No error messages are indicated.

What am I missing, here? I've pored through the relevant manual pages, and nothing in Phil's excellent videos or 'How to' materials seem to cover this.

I've also left myself a 'trail of breadcrumbs' and backed up the SD card to my PC, and reloaded the project via USB ops between the DP and the PC, thinking the project was corrupted. This was confirmed, since I did another 'oops' which was corrected by reloading the project from the one on the PC back to the DP, via USB ops. I have successfully flashed the 1.11 firmware after I got the unit, about a week or week and a half ago.

Any help is greatly appreciated, guys! Thanks!

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hi and welcome to the forum. Thank you for the kind words.
You won't see any spinning wheels with the Track Edit functions as they are instantaneous. As far as I can tell, no actual audio is shunted around - I guess it must use some clever pointer manipulation.
Either way, you should see confirmation of the IN, OUT and TO points on the track edit screen. It also shows the source & destination track no.
If these look ok, and you press the Yes (F2) button to 'do it', then the process should work.

If it still doesn't work, I would create a new song and do a more simple test of copying a couple of seconds of audio around. I usually test these functions by recording a few seconds of silence (no need to plug anything in). Switch the home screen to display the timeline view so you can see the coloured line of the recorded part. Then try a track edit and see the result on the coloured lines. It's more obvious if you copy and paste from one track to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
What I learned the hard way in the beginning: I didn't realize that some track functions need three pointer values (IN/OUT/TARGET) instead of only the two IN/OUT markers. As far as I remember the TARGET value is aquired by your actual counter position, before invoking the menu function.
Just in case...

That's right. The In/Out points set the range of the track(s) to be edited and the current position sets where the operation takes place. You'll need to keep track of these numbers in order to try different iterations of the edit.

Thanks guys! I hadn’t noticed that - on the timeline - there was sound/data only on tracks 1 and 2 (mono, hard-panned left/right) in the range I wanted. It’s a Korg Kronos 2, and once a key is hit, it plays a drum pattern (which is what I wanted) and the pattern didn’t replicate on thru to stereo tracks 11-12 like what occurred earlier in my playing. The pattern is only on 1/2. Since what I want to paste has carried thru on tracks 1/2 (seen on the colored bars) and I can’t copy mono tracks to the stereo tracks, therefore I must become acquainted with how to bounce tracks. The problem is ‘solved’ by understanding what transpired. Now I just need to get up to speed on how to use the unit! :O Thanks for the assist!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.