Changing the track volume and pan during mixdown

Stephen Jones

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD
Unfortunately, right now, every search I do on these forums gives me a Google error claiming I am trying to install a search engine on a website and trying to access internal API. So I apologize if this question has already been answered before.

I am using the DP-32SD and have two tracks with different keyboard sounds (Flute & Synth) that I like a lot. I want them to be the focus during their solos in the beginning of the recording and at the end. So, in order to avoid doing another bounce of just those two tracks making the desired adjustments, I thought I could do it during Mixdown. According to the manual under "Mixing Down Tracks":

"Mixing down the tracks is the process of adjusting the volumes and stereo positions of each recorded track..." and "... For example, you could increase the volume during a guitar solo."

So that sounds like what I want to do. But either I am not doing something right or it isn't working the way I am expecting. During Mixdown, I started off with the two tracks the loudest I want them with the Synth track center. Right before the vocals come in, I slowly lowered the volume Levels on both tracks and moved the Synth from center to far right. At the very end of the Mixdown, I reversed the process so that the lead instruments were center and at their loudest volume before eventually the entire song faded out.

I just performed the above procedure during Mixdown, but when I played it back, it neither played back the original track, nor reflected the changes I made. The Mixdown left the tracks exactly as they were set at the very beginning with the Synth in the center (ignoring changes in Pan) while both tracks remained at their highest level, interfering with the vocal tracks.

Is there a missing step I need to take to get the controls to work while doing a Mixdown, or am I just misreading this, and it won't allow me to change any individual tracks during Mixdown?

Thanks!
Stephen

I just realized this definitely can't be the way to do this, if it can be done at all. I just tried to do a bounce, exactly as I have easily done in the past with my old Fostex 4-track. But it had individual Pan controls available for every seperate track.

On the Tascam, there is only one Pan control knob available for one specific track at a time, whichever one has been SELECTED. So when you go to do a bounce-down with two tracks SELECTED, the one knob would either have to control the pan on both tracks, or neither. And when you turn the knob during bounce, the Mixer screen does not appear so you don't have any idea where the Pan is anyway.

So, I am at a total loss as to how one can do a Pan during Bounce of multiple tracks, and/or Pan and Level change of multiple tracks during Mixdown.

Thanks,
Stephen

What you're trying to do is called "automation" ... and I don't think the Tascam does this. What I've done (producing an entire CD) is to simply record the tracks dry, EXPORT, and import into REAPER (an inexpensive but powerful DAW) on my Mac. Reaper supports automation of many functions and is so much easier to work with (IMO).

OK. I see you have to completely stop the machine and select a specific track to change the panning. Then go back to the bounce. You apparently can't do this dynamically as I am used to. That is awkward when you have multiple places where you want to tweak the pans. I hope I can do the same with the Mixdown, although I don't really need to do that now that I have the bounce of these two tracks, which are the only ones that need changing.

RustyAxe: Actually, the panning isn't automation, as I want to manually manipulate it. That is how my old Fostex 4-track worked. The problem is due to the Tascam only having one Pan knob shared by all tracks and available per track only on the Mixer screen. On the Fostex, it had a Pan knob (and multiple EQ knobs) for each track. You could adjust the Pan manually while it was recording or bouncing. There's is no way to do this based on the fact that it is sharing the Pan knob among multiple tracks and you can only access it from the Mixer screen.

One auto feature I definitely miss is an auto-fadeout. Some of my recording/mixing software allows me to do that, and its smoother than trying to do it by hand. So when I am done, I bring the file over to my computer and use Fade-In and Fade-Out with software. I also do a bit of other manipulations such as making the over-all sound louder (Tascam "Normalization" helps but not enough), silencing noise that the Noise Suppressor didn't eliminate, etc. The software (Audacity and Wavepad) have a nice graphical interface that is very easy to use and you can visually see what you are doing. I try to get as much done as possible on the Tascam but then tweak the master a bit using software.

I also tend to mostly use outboard EQ and effects units, as they are far simpler and flexible to operate than the internal Tascam functions. I have a 16 band DOD EQ and an ART multi-effects unit which are easier to use and provide far more options than those internal to the Tascam. The software also has its own effects that aren't as flexible as the multi-effects unit but are simpler to use (with noticeable sound differences) than the Tascam internal effects.

Thanks again for your response!

Stephen

This thread is almost a year old however I must ask, how do you route your external effects and eq unit to the tascam?

Micki, for the detailed answer to your question, search on "How to: Using External Send" and you will find the steps in posts #1 & 2. Or you can try scrolling down the first page of this forum. The thread may still be showing there since it had some recent activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
RustyAxe: Actually, the panning isn't automation, as I want to manually manipulate it. That is how my old Fostex 4-track worked. The problem is due to the Tascam only having one Pan knob shared by all tracks and available per track only on the Mixer screen. On the Fostex, it had a Pan knob (and multiple EQ knobs) for each track. You could adjust the Pan manually while it was recording or bouncing. There's is no way to do this based on the fact that it is sharing the Pan knob among multiple tracks and you can only access it from the Mixer screen."

The mixer screen does not actually have to be open in order to adjust the EQ, panning and sends. Turning any of those knobs will temporarily open the mixing screen on the selected track. Just select the track you want, and start turning the knobs.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.