Clicks and pops

Omicron9

Gear owned
X48 Mk II
Greetings.

All my recordings are full of nasty clicks and pops. I'm using the internal clock. Nothing fancy in my setup. HD is fully formatted prior to each session. Nothing stored on the Data drive.

My X48 MkII was back to Tascam repair four months ago. Diagnostics were run on it for almost two weeks and found no issues. The hard drive was replaced. Still getting recordings full of clicks and pops.

Has anyone had this issue? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

I may have solved this. When doing a disk fomat, I noticed in the Disk Management utilities that Tascam had inexplicably turned on Disk Indexing. I won't go into what this does, but am happy to explain if you don't know. I turned it off, and the recordings from last night's session had zero clicks or pops. So, if anyone ever experiences clicks or pops, go into Disk Management and turn of the ^@*&^@! disk indexing! Why oh why did you enable this, Tascam?

Update: I spoke too soon. The X48 won't allow me to keep Indexing turned off. I can turn it off, but after restarting the machine (required, as this feature is in Disk Management), it's re-enabled, and the clicks are back at 96k. This is beyond frustrating.

Indexing isn't the underlining problem. It isn't "inexplicably" turned on either as its function is to read the drive faster. The problem is something else. What that is, I'm not sure. Maybe the spec of the drive replaced doesn't meet standards, motherboard issue or something else configured incorrectly in the OS.

Thanks, Cmaffia. Whatever it is, I've been exhaustively testing it for months now, and I think I'm officially giving up.

Or hard drive..buffering..

I would be interested to know if this unit is running as a standalone rig or connected to something else out of curiosity.

What does it do at other sample rates, like 48 or 44.1?

Last edited:

New threads

Members online