Compression settings for bass

Bugatti

Gear owned
Tascam sd24dp
Hi
Can anyone advise me regarding ‘standard’ compressions for bass on the DP24SD ?

I’ve looked for this information on the ‘net, but the suggested settings all relate to apps used with DAWs, which I can’t easily translate to the DP24SD.

Thanks!

Compression settings in general are a matter of personal taste - as well as program dependant (depends on the material and context of what you're trying to do).

But speaking generally - you might try a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1. I like to let a little bit of the initial attack through before clamping down. So maybe an attack setting of 20-30ms - maybe even 40-50ms (experiment with this by setting it higher to see/hear the difference). Generally, and depending on the material - a fairly fast release is good. Then once you get your incoming signal set roughly where you want it - lower the threshold to the point that its grabbing and affecting the peaks. To be more aggressive and really smash it - raise the ratio and lower the threshhold.

Depending on the material - sometimes being very aggressive with compression is "good". Sometimes it's called for to be more conservative... to just slightly dampen a transient here or there.

I'm just a baby and still learning. There's a lot to learning compression and how best to apply it. There is no better teacher than that of personal experience I have found. Just get in there and start turning knobs in a real context and *listening*.

Best of luck, have fun!

Last edited:
Many thanks for your helpful remarks David.

I had realised that compression settings were likely to vary according to the nature of the song and the technique of its player, which made figuring out how to use them somewhat of a challenge - until now!

Could you also suggest a setting for ‘release’ please?

Thanks again

@Bugatti you really need to set it by ear. It depends if you want a "slow leveler" in which case the release time would be slow. If you want to more tightly control the bass, a faster release time might sound better. You can't break anything so just turn on the compression and experiment with it.

Again it depends - but for mid tempo material where I don't want the release time "overriding" the attack of the next note played (for instance) - set the release fairly fast - like 20-40ms.

It really does help to try (and listen to) radical/extreme settings and see/hear the differences.

Thanks to you both for your help. There seems to be a fair degree of trial and error involved, though at least now I have a much clearer idea of what to do.

I find that finding the right bass tone to ‘sit’ well in a mix is, for me, always the trickiest part of the recording process. So knowing how to use compression effectively will certainly help!

Thanks again

Reactions: David Porter
Compression settings in general are a matter of personal taste...

There is no better teacher than that of personal experience I have found. Just get in there and start turning knobs in a real context and *listening*.

@Bugatti you really need to set it by ear...
You can't break anything so just turn on the compression and experiment with it.

Interesting post and comments -- which leaves me with these questions...

* Do you do the turning & tweaking for the whole song, or just part of it, or?

* Or is a different approach suggested "for those of us who are still learning" to maybe have a short 30-second song to experiment with? (versus a 4.5 minute whole song)

* It seems that I don't get enough time in the studio as is, and I'm wondering if I could perhaps 4X my learning curve -- by experimenting with songs that are 1/4 as long?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

(Am glad to be posting again too, as I've been wrapped up in too much other stuff the last few months...)

Old No7

Interesting post and comments -- which leaves me with these questions...

* Do you do the turning & tweaking for the whole song, or just part of it, or?
I run the song all the way through because I want to see what the compressor does dynamically throughout the song sections. But, I'm not learning how to use the compressor. I'm applying compression that I already understand how to use.
* Or is a different approach suggested "for those of us who are still learning" to maybe have a short 30-second song to experiment with? (versus a 4.5 minute whole song)
That's a good way to learn what the knobs do and how they affect the sound. Select part of a song and loop it.
* It seems that I don't get enough time in the studio as is, and I'm wondering if I could perhaps 4X my learning curve -- by experimenting with songs that are 1/4 as long?
Maybe, but time is time, so you need to spend time any way you look at it. Do whatever makes the most sense based on how you learn.

In the end though, you have to listen to what the compressor is doing to your song and spend the time to get it right.

It's important to understand what compression does to a single instrument and also the entire mix. so me sure to experiment with individual instruments and then entire mixes. Personally, I almost never put a compressor across the entire mix; I leave that kind of processing for the Mastering session. But I typically have very many tracks compressed individually.

If you really want to have fun, put a compressor on your snare drum. Use the fastest attack and release times it will allow, and crank the gain to hit the compressor really hard. Then slow down the release time and observe the effect. Do the same for the attack time. Experiment with different ratios and attack/release times. I would say that it's nearly impossible to get a good modern snare sound without proper compression. If you master the use of compression it will make a tremendous difference in mix quality and your production with make a giant leap forward.

Reactions: Max Relic
...In the end though, you have to listen to what the compressor is doing to your song and spend the time to get it right.

It's important to understand what compression does to a single instrument and also the entire mix. so be sure to experiment with individual instruments and then entire mixes...

Excellent advice, thank you for sharing those comments and others above.

Cheers from Maine.

Old No7

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.