Compressor settings/external effects

Joe Alan

Gear owned
DP-24
Hi I just got my dp24 and I'm in a learning stage. What compressor settings do you use on vocals and drums, if at all? I know it varries on each song , I'm not wanting to pitch right now I just want to get in the ballpark.
Also do any of dp24 users run your tracks through a external effect if so what do you use and on what track vocals,guitar ect.?

Hello Joe,
First, the compressor on the DP-24SD is extremely subtle. I generally use the default settings on the inputs... same settings for all instruments.
When mastering the file, I've always just used the library settings, but I'll audition different settings and pick one that suits the track.
When I want to really squash something, I'll use my external compressor as it'll pump more live into the instrument. I'm currently using the FMR RNC.
Regards,
Mike

Hello Joe,
First, the compressor on the DP-24SD is extremely subtle. I generally use the default settings on the inputs... same settings for all instruments.
When mastering the file, I've always just used the library settings, but I'll audition different settings and pick one that suits the track.
When I want to really squash something, I'll use my external compressor as it'll pump more live into the instrument. I'm currently using the FMR RNC.
Regards,
Mike

Hi,Mike i just sign up and i recently bought the tascam 32 sd. I want to record drums with tascam. After several hours with eq and different mic placements i manage to get pretty good drum sound. The problem is the compressor, feels like that it doesn´t do any difference to the sound. Have you used and external compressor with tascam 24sd? Or did you use software to mix drums.

Greetings from Finland!

Petteri

Hello Petteri,
First of all, please note that I've never mic'd real drums on the Tascam DP-24SD. I've only ever recorded drum machines, so this is just a suggestion.
When you record the drums with compression, you don't want extreme settings, you want the insert compressors to be subtle.
After you've recorded your track, you will master it. This is when you will select various compressor settings from the library, audition different settings and choose the one that suits your track best.
I wouldn't recommend using an external compressor for your drums, as you would have to first by a channel mixer to mic your drums, then you would put the compressor between the main output of your mixer and the input of the Tascam DP-24.
Since drum machines are line level instruments, I can slap a compressor between the drum machine and input of the Tascam... you cannot do this with your setup.
That being said, I don't feel you need to use an external compressor on drums... just remember the input compression settings can be very subtle, it's the mastering that will change the sound of your drum tracks the most.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi, Mike and thanks for the tips! I haven´t try the mastering yet. For the first try mastering part felt a bit tricky, because usually i have done it with a software. I need to read the instructions again:D

New threads

Members online

No members online now.